Should I crossfire?

dave39

So I'm a bit torn now. There are some beautiful Gtx 970s out now but my R9 280 oc is only a few weeks old.
It sounds like the r9 285 will be replacing the 280 so I am trying to decide between picking up a second r9 280 or just riding my single card out. I would love to have a Gtx 970 but wouldn't the performance of two r9 280s be equally as good, or better?
I don't really want to take a huge price hit on a card I just bought selling it as "used".

Thoughts??

Cisco001

Why do you need crossfire?
What resolution are you running?
I believe R9 280 on its own is a good enough card.

dave39

I'm currently running 1920x1080 with plans of upgrading my monitor in the new year to something with higher resolutions (3840X2160 or 2560X1440)

Darren

Staff member
At 1080P the 280 is fine. Don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading, upgrade if you actually need the performance, right now you most likely don't. Besides everything will be cheaper when you need a better card anyway.

beers

Staff member
If you're already considering crossfiring I'd probably return the card for a higher end one such as the 290. Then down the line you can crossfire those once the performance is no longer acceptable to you.