should i get a Mac or Pc?

Fankango

I am wanting to get a new laptop, I hear macs are better but i have never used one. I just use my computer listing to music, surfing the net, playing movies, and talking on AIM... plus doing homework. can anyone give me some advice about which to get or any reason why they like what they have. thanks.

tlarkin

VIP Member
any basic laptop will do all of that. A mac will do all of that as well, and has built in apps like ilife that will make a lot of that easier out of the box.

It comes down to preference. Personally, after owning several apple laptops, and several PC laptops, my macbook pro is the best damned laptop I have ever owned in my entire life.

Gareth

For that use, id recommend a Mac Mini.

edit, just saw that you wanted a laptop, not a desktop. Id recommend a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop.

Last edited:

Condoulo

I would recommend a Macbook myself. :) Great design (you wouldn't believe how many PC OEMs stick the Air intake for the laptop where your leg is going to be, like they couldn't hire any good engineers like Apple does), great operating system with a solid UNIX core, and has everything you would need for everything you mentioned (though for doing homework, I may suggest getting OpenOffice or something of that matter)

Fankango

i have heard a ratio of 8:1 saying to get a mac. my only problem i can think about is, i have 3000 songs in my itunes on my PC right now. will i be able to transfer those to the mac? and how if i can?

tlarkin

VIP Member
i have heard a ratio of 8:1 saying to get a mac. my only problem i can think about is, i have 3000 songs in my itunes on my PC right now. will i be able to transfer those to the mac? and how if i can?

do you have an ipod? Plus you can network a PC and a Mac fairly easily. OS X supports SMB (via samba) which is windows file sharing.

aSc1@3

I would get a pc for 3 reasons: 1.if doing word, excel, p.p. homework, office is cheaper for pc then mac(or use open office, which is for both) 2. MORE GAMES!!! I know you didn't say anything about games but all homework and no play makes Fankango a dull boy. 3. mp3s and mp4s are cheaper when only compatible with windows But hey, that's just me.:D

quagmondo23

Is a pc not a mac? It is a personal computer, so really as long as its yours a pc is a mac. Correct me if I'm wrong. Or a mac is a pc.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I would get a pc for 3 reasons: 1.if doing word, excel, p.p. homework, office is cheaper for pc then mac(or use open office, which is for both)

Cheaper than open office or neo office?

2. MORE GAMES!!! I know you didn't say anything about games but all homework and no play makes Fankango a dull boy.
Depends on what games, and the OP doesn't game it seems. Not everyone is a gamer you know.

3. mp3s and mp4s are cheaper when only compatible with windows But hey, that's just me.:D

I'd be hard pressed to just believe that, plus who in the hell wants to support DRM?

cdanik

depends on what your using it for.....

If you do a lot with movies and music go with a Mac.

If you do a lot of gaming or business work, go with windows.

G25r8cer

Mac's are alot more stable and could handle getting a bomb dropped on them. PC's are better for gaming and if you want to upgrade things down the line.

Fankango

do you have an ipod? Plus you can network a PC and a Mac fairly easily. OS X supports SMB (via samba) which is windows file sharing.

yes i do have an ipod. and for the person who asked about gaming, i use to play a lot of game but i dont anymore. i try to stay busy outside doing things, like hiking, working out, martial arts. so game is one reason i was thinking of not getting a windows computer so i wont be tempted to play as many games.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Mac's are alot more stable and could handle getting a bomb dropped on them. PC's are better for gaming and if you want to upgrade things down the line.

PCs aren't really unsable, I think it's windows that is. If you had Linux (or any other non-MS OS for that matter) installed on a PC, the chances of it crashing would probably be no bigger than those of Mac OS.

I wholly agree with the latter, though.

G25r8cer

PCs aren't really unsable, I think it's windows that is. If you had Linux (or any other non-MS OS for that matter) installed on a PC, the chances of it crashing would probably be no bigger than those of Mac OS.

I wholly agree with the latter, though.

Very true but, unless you wanna break the law, os x belongs on macs. Therefor, macs are much more stable. LOL I am against Mac as just an OS is not going to attract me. Who mentioned Ipod? Ipod's are over-rated, heck zune's are way better. Plus, screw Itunes!!!

Condoulo

Very true but, unless you wanna break the law, os x belongs on macs. Therefor, macs are much more stable. LOL I am against Mac as just an OS is not going to attract me. Who mentioned Ipod? Ipod's are over-rated, heck zune's are way better. Plus, screw Itunes!!!

hmm.... Zunes better? Zunes have worse DRM than iPods, heck, Apple is trying to go in the direction of anti-DRM.
Not to mention I like the iPod Touch, a mp3 player with a web browser, schweet.