should i get a Mac or Pc?

andy_mitch92

I hate mac's with a passion. Not really the mac's them selfs but the users bug the living hell out of me. If you have a brain at all a PC is perfectly stable, hell I have been running 64bit Vista Ultimate for about 4 months now and never once a crash or freeze and I have had ZERO (0) ZERO problems with the 64bit os. As for ipods I think they are the mark of the beast, you can choose to have one or you can choose not to have one and it seems to me that just about everyone chooses to have one. Itunes is a huge steaming pile of sith too. (< see the best page in the universe)
( Just one mans opinion on the subject)

vonfeldt7

I hate mac's with a passion. Not really the mac's them selfs but the users bug the living hell out of me. If you have a brain at all a PC is perfectly stable, hell I have been running 64bit Vista Ultimate for about 4 months now and never once a crash or freeze and I have had ZERO (0) ZERO problems with the 64bit os. As for ipods I think they are the mark of the beast, you can choose to have one or you can choose not to have one and it seems to me that just about everyone chooses to have one. Itunes is a huge steaming pile of sith too. (< see the best page in the universe)
( Just one mans opinion on the subject)

I also hate Apple, although at the same time...I think I'd be cool to have (or at least try) a macbook. My only suggestion is do NOT in ANY circumstance get the Mac Air.

As for the iPod thing...they are huge ripoffs...however the new ones (from a few months ago...not totally new) are a lot more competitively priced, although I still think a Zune would be better. (I saw 30Gb for $99 on newegg a few months ago).

Anyways, everything always boils down to personal preference, but as I mentioned before, just don't get the Mac Air, get anything but that (Apple or PC) and you'll be fine.

*EDIT* Oh, and the "bestpageintheuniverse" site or w/e that andy was talking about is in my sig btw.

Last edited:

Vizy

I also hate Apple, although at the same time...I think I'd be cool to have (or at least try) a macbook. My only suggestion is do NOT in ANY circumstance get the Mac Air.

As for the iPod thing...they are huge ripoffs...however the new ones (from a few months ago...not totally new) are a lot more competitively priced, although I still think a Zune would be better. (I saw 30Gb for $99 on newegg a few months ago).

Anyways, everything always boils down to personal preference, but as I mentioned before, just don't get the Mac Air, get anything but that (Apple or PC) and you'll be fine.

*EDIT* Oh, and the "bestpageintheuniverse" site or w/e that andy was talking about is in my sig btw.

thebestpageintheuniverse...yea i got it from u, i have it bookmarked for a while now. andy got it from here:

I would like to know your reason for disliking macs.

I hate the user. And Steve Jobs.

i replied:

I dont dislike macs. i've never owned one, my dad never liked to spend more than 300-350 on a computer, my comp is an exception, but my uncle paid for the big part of my comp( Props to my uncle). since we only used to comp for email and word processing, the comps we bought were perfect.

so:

Budget+Needs= no mac.

we didnt really need one. ive played with some at the apple store and stuff and they look like amazing machines, maybe just because its different and so orgasmically sleek looking. but now that we have all agreed that the cm690 is evev more orgasmic to look at:p, that look doesnt really make a diff to me now. but the compact design is cool.

btw, i saw this page in another member's sig:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

very funny but sorta strong words. his other pages ae funny too, specially the hatemail he gets

G25r8cer

I would be afraid of breaking the macbook air in half just by typing. Ipods def are a rip off!! Zunes are better.

undergirl

banned
Buy a mac

you won't regret

because if you buy a mac you can install windows

which it just like having two computers

plus mac won't slow down as windows or pc will get slower and slower after a while you bought it

mac will also make you feel better

bec it's mac

G25r8cer

Oh boy, another mac fanboy! Like i said before mac os x is good but, mac computers themselves suck. They are overrated and people are paying wat too much for mac's crap!

aSc1@3

What i meant is openoffice.org(just go to that web adress to download for windows or mac)is free, and i also meant mp3/mp4 PLAYERS. like som mp3/4 players are only compatible with windows, and are generally cheaper than their mac compatible counterparts. and, games are fun, and even not serious- aming games, but just take-up-some-time games, and more games are compatible with windows than mac. But if you already prefer one over the other, go with the one your used to. but, once again, thats just me.:D

Fankango

i think i am going to get the mac, it cost a little more but it seems like a fun computer to have, the only thing is will i be able to transfer all my music to the mac from my win xp desktop?

PunterCam

Get a mac, if you're not gaming they win hands down. Fact is a macbook looks cool, can run windows and osx, and will make you feel good.

My family bought an ibook and a vaio laptop about 4 years ago or so. The mac still looks like new because you care about it. The vaio had cracks in it, a broken keyboard, and was grubby as hell within 18 months, and was in the bin inside 2 years. The ibook is still used for the net, and is a quick as it was the day we bought it. And the battery still seems to last 80% as long as it did new, despite being on every day.

No one hates macs, they just hate the image and users - I guess because it's taken something that required upkeep, thought and a bit of skill (a windows computer) and made it completely accessible and fashionable. It's like these twats that like a band until they make it big, then all of a sudden it's uncool to like them.

tlarkin

VIP Member
First off these blanketed arguments why a Mac sucks are ridiculous, and these kids have no idea what the hell they are talking about. Macs are different and you can't fully compare them to a PC. When you do compare them though you can see the differences and the advantages.

Now, if anyone actually knew the basic securities of an OS, they would know how Unix is superior to Windows by a long shot. Windows is bloated, slow, and has ridiculous hardware demands. Windows does have better third party options, but quantity does not equal quality.

I also don't understand why people try to bash Mac because it is more simple? That is the dumbest argument I have ever heard. Would you rather have it simple and easy to use, or would you rather be digging down through countless ridiculous menus to drill down to one feature you need, and then find out you've wasted 20 minutes trying to find it? Simple is best for everything you do. The more simple it is, the more efficient you can be with it. When you complicate things you make them less efficient, less secure, more bloated and harder to use.

Gareth

There is some truth to that, Tkarkin, however, the latest Mac OS requires exactly the same as Windows Vista requires. Windows is most certainly not slow, only if you have the poorly written software, then it does granted, become a bit slower.
For most users, Windows is more simple to use because thats the operating system they learned.

I myself, am a Windows fanboy, however, I do like apple's products, and I will be getting a Mac Mini later this year.

azwebs

What you could do is buy a new Intel based Mac. As I understand, some of these are capable of running Windows. I went to stay in Germany a little while back, and the person I stayed with had a massive Mac, 22 inch screen, Intel based Core 2 Duo, and it ran Mac OS, and with the touch of a button, immediately booted to Windows. I don't think it was hacked or anything, but he does have a lot of money. His dad works in software development at Pekasol, so thats probably some of the reason. That PC really is the best of both worlds.

Mac for video (Avid, Final Cut Pro) and Windows for games and everything else. Very expandable, and if you get a virus, just switch to Mac (seperate, so don't crossover - Mac is pretty much invulnerable). I don't know where he got it from though, because couldn't find it at apple.com. Will keep looking.

tlarkin

VIP Member
There is some truth to that, Tkarkin, however, the latest Mac OS requires exactly the same as Windows Vista requires. Windows is most certainly not slow, only if you have the poorly written software, then it does granted, become a bit slower.
For most users, Windows is more simple to use because thats the operating system they learned.

I myself, am a Windows fanboy, however, I do like apple's products, and I will be getting a Mac Mini later this year.

The leopard minimum required specs are lower than Vista.

concorde

Macs are a tiny bit expensive, but they are well worth it. MacOS X is very stable and never tends to slow down at all as it uses its UNIX (BSD flavor) file system (which most UNIX or UNIX-based computers achieve less than 3% fragmentation) and the Mac is great for multimedia. Whether you buy a brand new Mac with OS X or even an older capable Mac such as a MacOS 9 or 8, viruses are out of the vocabulary in the Mac world. Not very many virus authors want to target Mac/UNIX/Linux users as 1) it is more difficult to write the viruses to these systems than it is to DOS/Windows and 2)these systems have integrated security and 3)more people use Windows than these three systems.

I highly reccommend a Macintosh. I've heard that a hard drive with Mac on it will last longer than a hard drive with Windows on it. The read/write heads don't have to thrash around constantly for bits and pieces of files. Macintosh uses the UNIX filesystem on newer OS versions (X) and the HFS/HFS+ filesystem (9 and below). :)

andy_mitch92

Just wait till Vienna or what ever the new windows os will be named and then we will see the true champion of coding... mac didn't make the Unix code where as Microsoft is going to make a whole new code for their new os, people are going to bitch about this when their old programs don't work anymore (main reason why Microsoft hasn't changed their code yet) but there will no longer be viruses for windows ( for a while at least) and hopefully virus authors start making viruses for macs during this time instead.

Did not mean to hurt anyones feelings in the process of my rant.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Just wait till Vienna or what ever the new windows os will be named and then we will see the true champion of coding... mac didn't make the Unix code where as Microsoft is going to make a whole new code for their new os, people are going to bitch about this when their old programs don't work anymore (main reason why Microsoft hasn't changed their code yet) but there will no longer be viruses for windows ( for a while at least) and hopefully virus authors start making viruses for macs during this time instead.

Did not mean to hurt anyones feelings in the process of my rant.

Vienna will have even more DRM, and possibly be the last OS I even try from MS if it sucks.

Also, not to burst your bubble, but MS's windows kernel is based off, Unix:eek:

Also, if you look at Apple's OS, they may have based their kernel off of FreeBSD's, it is by all means their OS, and it is there design. No one uses launchd but them, and it is in many ways quite genius, although like any and all OSes ever released it is not perfect and has bugs and yes it crashes just like every other OS.