should i get a sound card?

zombine210

didn't want to hijack the advantages to a sound card thread, so i made this one.

i have a Kenwood VR-616 (old but still working good)
here's a guy playing with one, lol
[yt]F6EqnP4xerc[/yt]

i've always been interested in the HT | Omega cards.
however, i don't listen to a lot of music, only youtubes. and not very loud either. i just thought it would be nice to have one :)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
How are you connecting your computer to the receiver and what speakers do you have. If it's via analog cable then a sound card should improve things. However if you really do only use your speakers for youtube music then i doubt you'd notice a big difference. If you're connecting it via digital cables then a sound card would not help at all.

zombine210

How are you connecting your computer to the receiver and what speakers do you have. If it's via analog cable then a sound card should improve things. However if you really do only use your speakers for youtube music then i doubt you'd notice a big difference. If you're connecting it via digital cables then a sound card would not help at all.

i'm using three of these RCA / 3.5mm cables from the mobo's Realtek ALC885 using generic windows 7 drivers
images

to the bundled kenwood ks-706ht speakers
h113htb505-f_1p.jpg

the receiver has an optical input, and i tried using it but for some reason i can't remember i didn't like it and got teh rca cables instead.

and i do play games on this computer though. i think if i did have a nice sound card, i would be more into music & stuff.

Last edited:

yoyojoe

get an asus sound card
although i would say skip it unless you plan on listening to high bit rate music

zombine210

Ah well by using RCA cables then yes a sound card would help. What's your budget?

i'm still comparing. most seem 24-bit 192KHz.
i wouldn't mind spending $200-$250 on a good card, but if a $100 card will give me enough good features, i would get that instead.

get an asus sound card
although i would say skip it unless you plan on listening to high bit rate music

i recently installed and began playing with ubuntu studio. i'm gonna make some beats and likely use some as ringtones.

one thing though: it has to be PCI. i read a while back that PCI-e X1 does not have enough bandwith or throughput for audio processing.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
i'm still comparing. most seem 24-bit 192KHz.
i wouldn't mind spending $200-$250 on a good card, but if a $100 card will give me enough good features, i would get that instead.

i recently installed and began playing with ubuntu studio. i'm gonna make some beats and likely use some as ringtones.

one thing though: it has to be PCI. i read a while back that PCI-e X1 does not have enough bandwith or throughput for audio processing.
Both PCI and PCI-e X1 is fine for sound cards. As for spending $100 or up to $250 on a card that's really up to you. I have an Asus D1 and it sounds great (~$100 card). I can't really comment how good a $200 card would sound.

Does 2.1 speakers need sound card?

Depends on what pair and what you do with the speakers. Generally the way I see it is if your speakers are cheaper than your sound card then somethings wrong.

taj mahal

Depends on what pair and what you do with the speakers. Generally the way I see it is if your speakers are cheaper than your sound card then somethings wrong.

I am buying altec lansing mx6021 and my motherboard can support up to 8 channel audio.
On speakers I do all kind of stuff i.e. movies, games and music.
Just wondering whether shedding off bucks on sound card will really make a difference.

Last edited:

zombine210

thanks for hijacking my thread lol

i recently discovered dubstep music and am playing it kind of loud -35dB on my kenwood HT system. there are dust bunnies flying all over :D

currently using onboard Realtek ALC885. specs
# High-performance DACs with 106dB dynamic range (A-Weight), ADCs with 101dB dynamic range (A-Weight)
# Meets performance requirements for Microsoft WLP 3.0 Premium desktop and mobile PCs
# Ten DAC channels support 16/20/24-bit PCM format for 7.1 sound playback, plus 2 channels of concurrent independent stereo sound output (multiple streaming) through the front panel output
# There stereo ADCs support 16/20/24-bit PCM format, one for stereo microphone, one for legacy mixer recording
# All DACs and ADCs supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
# 16/20/24-bit S/PDIF-OUT supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
# 16/20/24-bit S/PDIF-IN supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
# Supports 444.1k/48k/96k/192kHz ADAT® digital output

the HT | OMEGA CLARO 7.1 has good reviews on newegg, are these specs worth upgrading?

#4 pcs 24-bit/192kHz AK4396VF (120dB-part spec.) DACs for 7.1channel output. (24-bit/192kHz in 7.1channel playback)
#1 pc 24-bit/192kHz WM8785G (110dB-part spec.) ADC input (24-bit/192kHz recording)
#1 pc CMI9780 AC'97 2.3 CODEC for AUX input, CD input, MIC input (16bit/48kHz playback/recording)
#Integrated up to 192k/24-bit S/PDIF high grade special Optical and Coaxial connectors for 44.1kHz,48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz SPDIF output. (work simultaneously)
#Integrated up to 192k/24-bit S/PDIF high grade special Optical receiver SPDIF (PCM) input.
#Supports onboard Coaxial or CD Digital input connector for up to 192kHz SPDIF input. (Optional Cable need for Coaxial input)

i think i might get that.

Okedokey

Are you gaming? If so sound cards also take the role of sound processing off the CPU, increasing framerates.