Should i get i7 920 or I3 2120 cpu

lowki

A friend of mine is willing to sell his i7 920 USED for 150.00 bucks but i see a I3 2120 brand new for maybe 130 or so. Which one should i get?

I notice that i7 its pretty old since 2009 but is it still worth the bucks of the newer generation of CPU?

wolfeking

banned
either one will do fine for gaming. The i7 is better technically, but the i3 will do everything you need probably.

Ankur

If you can spend 30 more then i5 2310 would be the best choice. Better to get a quad core.

khom562

If you can spend 30 more then i5 2310 would be the best choice. Better to get a quad core.

i was actually thinking of getting an i3. Thanks for letting us know that its about 55 bucks more to an upgrade to i5, Is it really worth it spending that extra 55 bucks for i5?

Go for the i3, because then you'll have an up-to-date motherboard, able to upgrade to faster CPUs.

I had the same exact idea going for an i3 for now then like in a few months. I'm most likely going to get a better motherboard and CPU but all i care about is Graphic card right now.

I want to spend about 175 bucks for CPU and Motherboard both right now. Then whenever i want feel like i need to, I would like to upgrade to a I7 2600 but that would be like an extra 150-200 bucks for cpu alone. Then for motherboard i'm thinking of getting a really good one for 200 bucks worth.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
i was actually thinking of getting an i3. Thanks for letting us know that its about 55 bucks more to an upgrade to i5, Is it really worth it spending that extra 55 bucks for i5?
Yes it is worth the extra becuase you'll get two extra cores with the i5, the i3 is a dual-core with HT, whereas the i5s are proper quad-core chips. :) The i5 will be more 'future-proof' (that's a term I hate using btw) and will prepare you better for games in the future which will take full advantage of the extra pair of cores.