Should I get XP home or pro?

mrchainsaw

I'm building a new computer and I am getting either XP home or pro. I plan on gaming some(a lot of Flight Simulator 2004 though :) ) and using it for Internet and school. What's the difference between the two? Pros and cons?

Here's my specs in case they're needed:
Nvidia 6600 256mb PCI-E
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
120gb hdd or more
1GB RAM

narafa

In general, it all depends on what you are going to use the OS for. There are no much differences between the Home and the Pro when it comes to stand alone PCs. But when your PC is part of a LAN, you can see the difference.

XP Pro is made for workstations mainly, so if you are going to be part of a LAN, you might consider having it.

Home is exactly what it is called, "HOME". So if you are not going to use a LAN, then you need not have Pro.

Also XP Pro allows easier administration for professional users over networks and the internet.

You can simply go to Microsoft website and read what they say about both and then you decide based on your needs.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I choose Pro, even for stand alone computers with un-experienced users. Why? because the networking simplicity is there if i need it, jsut incase.

Geoff

VIP Member
Of course there is a huge difference in price between home and pro, go home for your needs. Pro if you part of a huge LAN (You can use home to LAN a few computers)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Media Edition is aimed toward those who use their computer as a tv. You will have to buy a complete computer in order to use it.

I dont believe that you need to buy a whole new computer to use Media Centre Edition although that is what they would like you to believe :).