Should I get XP or Vista?

HeyGrim

Hey, I was wondering if I should get an XP or Vista. On my new computer, I'll be surfing the web, listening to music, burning DVD's/CD's, editing images/videos, and playing games. The games is what I'm most concerned about, as I'm sure the other things won't have a much difference between XP/Vista. Anyways, do most older games work good on Vista? I'd mainly be playing games such as Counter Strike, Guild Wars, Battlefield, Age of Mythology, and more. I'd really like to play some of the Vista games, so this is why I'm considering Vista. Thanks.

Joyce P

Hi. I'm one of the very few people that like Vista. I bet one in ten people prefer XP especially people who are into gaming. Vista takes more resources to run, it's a bit more complicated until you learn the layout, and it does have bugs and quirks. However I love the improved graphic interface and I quickly adjusted to the layout of Vista. It's not as drastically different than XP as I thought it would be but some of the subtle things I find useful, such as some of the sidebar tools. Functionally it doesn't do much more than XP though that's why most people see no need to switch. The only older games I couldn't get to run on Vista was Far Cry and some racing game, but I've had XP fail to install programs properly too. For what it's worth I have Vista in my internet surfer and XP in my gaming machine to save resources most especially RAM. Hope this helps!

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I've been using Vista since I've tried to get a new laptop... My previous HP laptops ran vista horribly (even though the specs weren't that bad...) My current Fujitsu laptop runs vista pretty well, though I do believe XP would run faster and without the bugs Vista seems to be plagued with.

Honestly, Vista's basically another Windows ME... I'd stray away from it if I had a choice. I know I'm not loading it on my desktop.

techmatch

There are some notable differences between Windows XP and Windows Vista. NetMeeting has been replaced by Windows Collaboration while MSN Explorer has been removed completely.

The "My" prefix on "My Computer", "My Document", etc. has also been dropped.

Windows Vista also no longer supports older motherboards technologies like EISA bus and advanced power management (APM).