Should i go SSD or HDD

rainerrocket

wondering if i should just buy ssd's for my new build, or if i should just get one for bootdrive and something like a seagate barracuda 2tb for games and stuff,
any thoughts

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Depends on what sort of OS and programs you run. I have two 60 GB SSDs, one solely for Win7, the other solely for the software (and WOW when I played) for the boot times. All my storage stuff is on a traditional HDD. Right now, my Win7 drive is barely over 3/4 full with just the OS, and my software drive is sitting around 1/3 with WOW still installed.

Depending on the amount and size of games you have, you may want a larger SSD to store them. Keep in mind that I'm a bit OCD with my storage layout (OS completely separate, software completely separate, storage completely separate). If you find a nice deal on a SSD large enough to hold both OS and your games, and still have enough room to keep as empty space, then by all means grab it.

wolfeking

banned
SSDs have their place, and in my opinion desktops are not that place at all. The speed you gain is easily lost if you do not restart often. Aside from that, 99% of your data is kept on a separate HDD anyway, so even your file transfer rate will not increase.

Laptops get an advantage of less heat, more shock tolerance, less power used, and quicker boot times and wake from hibernate times. File transfers go quick enough if you have it set up to move to a USB3 external device, or from one partition to another on the SSD.

Benny Boy

SSD for os, programs and, all or your most frequently played games.
HDD for doc's, pics, vids,,
For ssd size, get one that is big enough to allow extra free space for os growth, and about 20% extra after that.
Example: 120gb will show up as about 111gb = about 70gb, which allows for os growth and not ever having the drive more than about 80% full.
Always 20%ish free space since filling it slows it and degrades performance.

spirit

Staff member
Size wise I'd say you want 120/128GB as a minimum, 256GB is a nice size.

You do get a nice speed boost from an SSD. I use the Crucial M4 myself and I like it. I've used others too.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I have a 64GB SSD for programs/OS alone and all my stuff on hard discs, it's actually pretty nice - applications start pretty much instantly, but it wasn't quite as big deal as everyone made it out to be (you only open up programs every so often). You can get a small, good-quality SSD for less than $100, so it still might be worth considering. I certainly don't think that a SSD on a desktop to store everything is a good deal for the price you'll be paying, boot/programs SSD + storage/some pograms HDD is probably the best setup.

gigabiteme

tough call, i went ssd for o/s, i like it, they are a lot quieter than hdd's too.
i think my 180gb on sale was 130.00. just make sure it has the latest firmware before using it.

mtb211

Size wise I'd say you want 120/128GB as a minimum, 256GB is a nice size.

You do get a nice speed boost from an SSD. I use the Crucial M4 myself and I like it. I've used others too.

ugh I came across this thread because I saw this product

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...campaign=WEM3428&[email protected]

120.00 for a 256 sata iii drive? its not a crucial m4 but I need a new hard drive... I don't need a lot of space but I figured I could use this for my OS files and PF... can anyone be honest and tell me if a SSD for a PC is just a waste? I have one in my laptop but a laptop is constantly booting.

Matt

mtb211

SSDs have their place, and in my opinion desktops are not that place at all. The speed you gain is easily lost if you do not restart often. Aside from that, 99% of your data is kept on a separate HDD anyway, so even your file transfer rate will not increase.

Laptops get an advantage of less heat, more shock tolerance, less power used, and quicker boot times and wake from hibernate times. File transfers go quick enough if you have it set up to move to a USB3 external device, or from one partition to another on the SSD.

I see your opinion and you own a SSD.... hmm maybe I will just get a WD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

Matt

gigabiteme

that seems a good price for black <-prof. 24/7 use
if you are useing it for home use you can get a 2tb ,64mb cache
caviar green for 89.00 in ncix sata 3<-home use
both west. digital units are good, the black is way better,
regards