Should I install OS on desktop I'm selling?

Apoc

I am about to sell a used desktop of mine and I am not sure if I should install Windows on it or not.

Should I sell it clean so the new owner can chose what they want or not?

PohTayToez

If you want to get anything out of it, sell it with Windows installed. If you sell it with no OS, your target market is computer enthusiasts, who happen to be a frugal bunch. If you sell it with Windows installed, your target market is the average Joe who just needs a computer, and is likely going to be willing to pay more for one.

tremmor

I agree. As sure as sheet you give to him stripped and plugs it in and does not start he will be calling you. Im thinking the person is on a budget anyway. Do a full format with windows and install. Not a quick format. wipe clean and should be good.

Nanobyte

If you are selling locally, the buyer will want to see it working. Who would buy a PC that does not do anything from a stranger?

If it's used what OS does it have? I'd leave it as-is if there is an OS. If there is no OS installed, are you intending to pay for a genuine version of Windows to be installed? Seems rather a strange situation.

Apoc

If it's used what OS does it have? I'd leave it as-is if there is an OS. If there is no OS installed, are you intending to pay for a genuine version of Windows to be installed? Seems rather a strange situation.

There is not a OS, it's got a brand new clean 500gb Hard drive.

If you are selling locally, the buyer will want to see it working. Who would buy a PC that does not do anything from a stranger?

I am a honest person but i guess there is know way they could know that for sure.

If there is no OS installed, are you intending to pay for a genuine version of Windows to be installed?
I was planning on buying a Windows7 OEM System Builder OS for it and have them install it there selfs, but some people like to choose there own OS. Thats why I am not sure what to do.

jamesd1981

if you are going to install an os i would go for windows 7 as you planned to nobody wants vista and xp is an old dinosaur.

Nanobyte

Although I'm not a huge fan of Linux, perhaps you could just run Linux off a Live CD for the potential buyer. That will show the PC works and does some basics, albeit slowly. They can then install whatever OS they like.

salvage-this

I would install A linux distro so they can see it at full speed and tell them that you can install any OS that they like. Then if they want a windows machine you can just add the cost of it to the final price.

mihir

VIP Member
+1 for salvage-this
A linux distro like ubuntu won't cost you anything and also prove the computer is working and working fast.

Motorcharge

Just mention in the ad that they can get it clean or with Windows OS. If you're willing to pay for it say so, if you want them to pay all or part, say so. Probably your best bet and it leaves it up to whoever wants to buy it to decide.