Should I remount?

PixelVandalism

About a week ago, my uncle was kind enough to give me his 3770k and his spare motherboard.
Today I have bought a new motherboard, as the one I recieved had issues running any more than one stick of ram, and had multiple bent pins.
I upgraded from a dodgy Asrock z77 extreme4-m to an Asrock z77 extreme6. I also purchased a shiny new H100i.
On the old board, I was using the stock cooler, as my xigmatek from my old rig was destroyed by a small child when I was half way through cleaning it, so I wasn't really looking at my temps, or even attempting to OC.
I obviously bought the H100 with the hopes of getting to have the pleasure of OC'ing on intel, my 1090t never was a fan of it.
I'm getting temps of around 82 degrees on core 1, every other core is significantly cooler, around 75. This is at 4.2ghz 1.16volts. (after and hour of prime95)
Having experimented with undervolting before I decided to OC, I know I can run it at 1.025 volts at stock clocks, so I could probably drop the voltage further, but I was under the impression that a H100i would yeild better results than this, especially on a cold night on the 3rd day of autumn.
So my long winded question to computer forum is, should I bother to remount it? the only TIM I have laying around is AS5, and from what I've read it isn't as good as the stock paste on the cooler.
Thanks, Pixel.

Last edited:

Virssagòn

VIP Member
About a week ago, my uncle was kind enough to give me his 3770k and his spare motherboard.
Today I have bought a new motherboard, as the one I recieved had issues running any more than one stick of ram, and had multiple bent pins.
I upgraded from a dodgy Asrock z77 extreme4-m to an Asrock z77 extreme6. I also purchased a shiny new H100i.
On the old board, I was using the stock cooler, as my xigmatek from my old rig was destroyed by a small child when I was half way through cleaning it, so I wasn't really looking at my temps, or even attempting to OC.
I obviously bought the H100 with the hopes of getting to have the pleasure of OC'ing on intel, my 1090t never was a fan of it.
I'm getting temps of around 82 degrees on core 1, every other core is significantly cooler, around 75. This is at 4.2ghz 1.16volts.
Having experimented with undervolting before I decided to OC, I know I can run it at 1.025 volts at stock clocks, so I could probably drop the voltage further, but I was under the impression that a H100i would yeild better results than this, especially on a cold night on the 3rd day of autumn.
So my long winded question to computer forum is, should I bother to remount it? the only TIM I have laying around is AS5, and from what I've read it isn't as good as the stock paste on the cooler.
Thanks, Pixel.

Why not? And btw, the artic silver 5 is a pretty darn good thermal paste.
Just be sure you cleaned the cpu and the h100 before re-applying the Thermal paste and re-installing the cooler. You can remove the thermal paste easier with something more then 95% alcohol.
Only use a small grain on the middle of the cpu and let it spread automatically while putting the h100 on it.

PixelVandalism

Why not? And btw, the artic silver 5 is a pretty darn good thermal paste.
Just be sure you cleaned the cpu and the h100 before re-applying the Thermal paste and re-installing the cooler. You can remove the thermal paste easier with something more then 95% alcohol.
Only use a small grain on the middle of the cpu and let it spread automatically while putting the h100 on it.

remount yes, and try different paste, however corsai paste is good.

i use gelid extrem, but as5 will do

I'm used to using nail polish remover to clean my cpu's/ heatsinks, I guess I'll have to do that tomorrow.

Ever since getting the processor I've been tempted to de-lid it, but I feel I'll just be setting myself to fork out $330 to pretend it never happened.

jonnyp11

how much paste did you use? if it didn't spread enough that could be why the one is so hot. But those temps seem higher than they should be anyways, not sure why. What's your room temp?

PixelVandalism

how much paste did you use? if it didn't spread enough that could be why the one is so hot. But those temps seem higher than they should be anyways, not sure why. What's your room temp?

I just used the stock paste that was on the bottom of the H100i's pump. It was spread far better than anything I could do.

My room temp would be 21 - 24 degrees tonight.

Here are my current temps.
http://i.imgur.com/OW83kU9.png

I'll remount it tomorrow, with the AS5. If the temps are still terrible I guess I'll see if the stock cooler is notably worse. Hopefully its just the mount, and the paste.

Last edited:

PixelVandalism

I just used the stock paste that was on the bottom of the H100i's pump. It was spread far better than anything I could do.

My room temp would be 21 - 24 degrees tonight.

Here are my current temps.
http://i.imgur.com/OW83kU9.png

I'll remount it tomorrow, with the AS5. If the temps are still terrible I guess I'll see if the stock cooler is notably worse. Hopefully its just the mount, and the paste.

And, the conclusive results. I remounted without new paste this morning was getting about 88 on the hottest core.

After AS5, it hit 95 almost instantly and I stopped it. Either my chip is terrible or my cooler is shonky.

And I've got no more paste to play around with.

I've dropped the clock, and the voltage. Here are the current temps. They seem awfully high for what I see as such a low voltage
http://i.imgur.com/nHuxfTr.png (Prime has been running for 5 minutes)

I was getting in the high 60's last night at these clocks and voltages, with the case closed. Right now it is running open.

I know this is all in the wrong section. But I am beginning to think this is my CPU not my cooler.
http://imgur.com/AlHpHXE.jpg
That is the last paste applied getting to 91 degrees with 1.016 volts showing in cpu-z.
I'm beginning to think the CPU is just really hot as I thought my lack of correctly functioning ram was making battlefield studder, maybe it was the CPU throttling due to the heat.

Last edited:

PixelVandalism

You sure you have the fans mounted the right way.

Safe to say I'm not that stupid.
Running the rad in pull in the top of my case. My rear fan as an intake, Bottom fan as an intake, and my HDD fan just does its own thing in the side.
Airflow is not the problem. Its either the pump in the h100, or the chip itself. at stock voltages it gets to 100 degrees within second of opening prime.

Okedokey

Your doing something wrong. Are you sure you have mounted the CPU on completely. They take some force.

Reapply thermal paste whenever you remove the block.

PixelVandalism

Your doing something wrong. Are you sure you have mounted the CPU on completely. They take some force.

Reapply thermal paste whenever you remove the block.

I highly doubt I've done anything wrong.
In two boards, with two coolers, the processor runs ridiculously hot. reapplying the paste every time.
Even if I was doing something wrong, you'd think after all the remounts I've done today once it would have ran at a respectable temperature.

we can ask you everithime what did you do, and more like that, if you are sure that you did everithing oke, even with 2 coolers you tried it???
so then dont take any risk any more and let the cpu test where you buy it.
and see what the say.
temps are way to high.

PixelVandalism

we can ask you everithime what did you do, and more like that, if you are sure that you did everithing oke, even with 2 coolers you tried it???
so then dont take any risk any more and let the cpu test where you buy it.
and see what the say.
temps are way to high.

Considering it was a gift, and the store that it was purchased from is the kind of store that says "Is it running now? then we aren't doing anything" I doubt that will fix any of my problems. I guess I'll just leave it, and if I get the urge sometime later I'll delid.

Considering it was a gift, and the store that it was purchased from is the kind of store that says "Is it running now? then we aren't doing anything" I doubt that will fix any of my problems. I guess I'll just leave it, and if I get the urge sometime later I'll delid.

oke succses with it then.