Should I upgrade my CPU? Or is mine fine.

Hello all, I am upgrading my pc. Windows 10. I have installed 8 gigs of ram, a 350w power supply and a GTX 1050 SC graphics card. My current CPU is an Intel i3 4160. When I researched my graphics card it said the recommended CPU would be something similar in performance to an Intel i3 6320 3.9 GHz. Is my current CPU ok? Or should I upgrade? Also should I go with the one they recommended or does someone recommend a better one that is similarly priced. My motherboard is a Dell 040DDP Intel Haswell Chipset.

Grantapus

Hello all, I am upgrading my pc. Windows 10. I have installed 8 gigs of ram, a 350w power supply and a GTX 1050 SC graphics card. My current CPU is an Intel i3 4160. When I researched my graphics card it said the recommended CPU would be something similar in performance to an Intel i3 6320 3.9 GHz. Is my current CPU ok? Or should I upgrade? Also should I go with the one they recommended or does someone recommend a better one that is similarly priced. My motherboard is a Dell 040DDP Intel Haswell Chipset.
well the recommended CPU just seems to be a 6th gen i3 instead of a 4th gen like yours. I would just stick with your current cpu and see if you have any issues. it should be just fine depending on what your going to be doing on this computer. if you are doing hardcore gaming, i would consider a better cpu.

Cool site. Thanks. So the one they recommend isint much better. Do you know of a better one for around the same price?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
About the best you can do at this point is an I5 4570. You have an older system with no viable way to change socket besides new motherboard, cpu and ram and most likely a new case.

Grantapus

About the best you can do at this point is an I5 4570. You have an older system with no viable way to change socket besides new motherboard, cpu and ram and most likely a new case.
I agree. If you want a better cpu the I5 is the way to go.

I agree. If you want a better cpu the I5 is the way to go.

Alright thanks guys. I think for now I'll just wait on a cpu upgrade for this computer unless I can find that i5 for a steal. Thanks again.

beers

Staff member
Depends what you want to do, since you already have it I'd see how it performs. If you encounter any games that are low FPS while your CPU is at 100% utilization then that's the bottleneck.

4570 and 4670 are usually somewhat inexpensive, I picked up one for my server a few months ago around $50 off of a third party selling app.