Should I upgrade my system or build a new rig?

Should I upgrade or build a new rig?

• Build New Rig

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Do nothing

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Upgrade current System

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters

Grey410

Hello all and for those who remember me I am still around :D.

Ok I'm running a:
C2D E6600 @ stock
8800GTS 640MB
4GB G Skill Ram DDR2 800
Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi/AP Mobo
Soundblaster X-FI
DVD R/W
300GB Maxtor HD SATA
650W PSU
Coolermaster Centurian Case
Windows Vista Ultimate 64
I'm running this on a 37" HD 1080P 1920x1080 Monitor.

Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to a new system or just a few things in my system. I'm really looking for your opinions here. I'm thinking of an i7 920, MSI X58, 6GB DDR3, GTX 260 or 4870, 1TB Seagate. I play COD4, COD WAW, Left 4 Dead, Company of Heroes, Sins of a Solar Empire.

Last edited:

Calibretto

VIP Member
I would upgrade the CPU and the video card. Maybe you could get an E8400 at least. As for the video card, if you're going to be using a 37" screen and running games, I would get a better video card than what you have. A GTX 260 might be able to do it.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
just upgrade the processor,the GT can still handle todays games no problems.

btw you say 8800GT 640mb....sure you dont mean GTS?

But if you realy do want to upgrade that vid card aswell go for a 4850 or 4870.

Grey410

Bummer

I just found out that farthest I can go with my MOBO is an E8600. My mobo doesnt support Core i7's =( :(

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'd say upgrade to one of the Wolfdale chips and get a new GPU. Either the 4870 or GTX 260 would be an awesome improvement. For gaming, I don't really see the need to purchase a brand new Nehalem system.

scooter

banned
Yeah, I'd say upgrade to one of the Wolfdale chips and get a new GPU. Either the 4870 or GTX 260 would be an awesome improvement. For gaming, I don't really see the need to purchase a brand new Nehalem system.

Yeah man, I totally use my x48 for gaming. The rig in my sig is mostly for demo and showing customers...nice for gaming but all our current systems before i7 still kick ass and are hella cheaper.

teamhex

Can I not agree with an opinion? Had I typed exactly what he said someone would have had something negative to say about that. So go fly a kite mate. Not to mention iv got an e8400 and I agree its better to OC then to spend money to buy a better processor when you can overclock.

Last edited:
i agree with those who said to overclock it,

also get a new videocard, i think your system is great how it is but somepeople can see differneces were i cant lol, im not that picky

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
get a Q6600,then wait until the I7 based motherboard,processors and ram come down a bit next year and then upgrade then.

there realy isnt no need to upgrade yet though,maybe only your processor.