Should I upgrade my system or just get a new build?

Kal-El

Hi everyone,

I shoot photography (RAW, high res pics) and I use Lightroom and Photoshop. I will eventually start editing videos as well.

The problem I have with my system is that every time I try to apply presets to my pictures, my computer crashes and I get the so called "blue screen of death".

It's so frustrating to work even on a single picture because it lags so much and I can hear the actual pc humming harder and louder as I try to apply the presets and then it crashes.

I want something that will allow me to work on my pictures and video editing smoothly with no lags and obviously no stupid crashes.

I'm clueless when it comes to computers, below is my build and what do you guys recommend I should do?

Do I need a new graphics card, a new processor, etc.?

or do you think i need new build and if so, what kind of build would you recommend (I was thinking Intel with a $3k budget).

If you think a new build is the way to go, can I salvage some parts from my current PC into a new one and would you recommend liquid or air cooling. I want something that'll last me for many years to come.

WINDOWS 10 PRO

MSI 990FXA-GD80 (MS-7640)

AMD FX (TM) -8350 Eight Core Processor

RAM 16 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX760

Air cooled

64 bit operating system

Primary storage 500gb

Secondary storage 4tb

Thanks everyone and sorry for the long rant.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
first of all, lets get some data from your bluescreens to see why its happening.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

ssal

Still pictures generally do not demand too heavily on resource. I am able to use Photoshop for editing on a 6+ year old 4gb Acer mini notebook.

I think you may have some kind of corruption in your PC. I would suggest a clean reinstalling of Lightroom first. If it still has problem, reinstall Windows. Probably, your problem will go away.

When you said "no lag in video editing" and good for many years to come, it's a tall order. Today, 4K is almost the standard in digital video. 4K demands a lot of resource in CPU and GPU, not to mention nvme SSD and ram. But it is nothing that a $1,500 built can't handle. When you talk about the future, who knows. Some video fanatics are salivating over 8K around the corner (I personally don't think we'll get to 8k popularity). So what future you have in mind and it's an open end question.