Should i use a Router?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys,

I recieved a free Netgear Wireless-N Router and USB Adapter Kit today from my ISP.
This one to be exact.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNB2100.aspx

Thing is,Im not sure if i should bother using it or not,afterall my ISP said that its up to me if i want to use it or not but whatever i decide to do they said its mine to keep so :good:

I currently have my pc connected directly to the Modem which is the new 50Mb Modem from Virgin media and i dont have any other computers connected or plan to anyway.

does a Router realy give you much more security than not having one?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yes, use it! NAT alone prevents bots, viruses, and other nasty things from even getting close to your computer.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi tlarkin,

The thing thats putting me off using the Router is that i heard that if you dont secure your Router properly than anyone can connect to it with it been wireless.

But i wouldnt be using it wireless,i would use wires so would it be diffrent?

also would it slow my internet down?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Hi tlarkin,

The thing thats putting me off using the Router is that i heard that if you dont secure your Router properly than anyone can connect to it with it been wireless.

But i wouldnt be using it wireless,i would use wires so would it be diffrent?

also would it slow my internet down?

Your interent is not faster than 100MPS, and just put a freaking passkey on the wireless and problem is solved no one can connect then.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay so i connected it all up WIRED,installed the software which they provide and restarted my pc.

Everythings working,i have internet connection.

how do i go about making sure its secure? and is there any tests to test out my security?

i have enabled all the Routers security features AND changed the default login password to a VERY long one,but which i can remember :)

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
ive changed the default password for my router to a long one

ive looked in all the settings in "Netgear Smartwizard" and cant see any other options to stop wireless or password protect it.

i looked in "Router settings" and it said

Wi-Fi Protected Setup - Not Configured
Wireless AP OFF
Broadcast Name ON

and under security options it says my protection is the highest...

WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

i have no clue lol

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
You want to be setting a WPA2 key on your router its the safest yet.

WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] is enabled,is that wahat yout talking about?

in bold?

vinnie107

WPA2 should be enabled and you should have a network key for it.

Basicly a password to your network. You should of set one or have been given one.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah by default Neatger had set one,and i changed it to a better longer one which i can remember.

but im still not convinced my network is secure,is there a way i can test it?

im not using the wireless at all,i have only 1 pc my main 1 wired and thats all im using.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you aren't using it then turn it off

i cant figure out in the Netgear Smartwizard panel how you turn it off,they use all fancy words ive never heard off :D

heres a few screenshots of the panel,sure could do with some help.

Wireless settings

basicwireless.jpg

Advanced wirelesss settings

1routt.jpg

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Wireless Router Settings i noticed

Enable Wireless Router Radio

The Wireless Access Point Router of this router can be enabled or disabled to allow wireless access. The wireless icon on the front of the router will also display the current status of the Wireless Access Point to let you know if it is disabled or enabled. If Enabled, wireless stations will be able to access the Internet. If Disabled, wireless stations will not be able to access the Internet.

ive disabled it,and the The wireless icon on the front of the router has now gone off.

does this mean its secure from the outside?

bengal85

Well in that you have it you might as well use it the only thing that would keep you from using it would be if the data transfer speed was lower than your modem but I would doubt that

bilbus

as long as you enable wpa2 and password protect your router, your good.

Hell disable the wireless if your not going to use it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
not necessarily, i suggest you get something like this

http://shop1.frys.com/product/3321462?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

it's quite easy nowadays to get into someones PC, be safe.

Not to discourage an "elite professional hacker" or anything but AES encryption has not been cracked yet. The earlier statement is true. If you use WPA encryption (which uses AES, or you can use both AES + TKIP) and use a passkey that is not an actual word and at least 8 to 12 characters with letters, numbers and symbols, then dictionary attacks would likely take decades to crack it.

However, if you are not using your wireless just turn it off completely, then you don't even have to worry about it.

If you want to get even more paranoid do not forward any ports to your machine either.

EliteProHacker

Not to discourage an "elite professional hacker" or anything but AES encryption has not been cracked yet. The earlier statement is true. If you use WPA encryption (which uses AES, or you can use both AES + TKIP) and use a passkey that is not an actual word and at least 8 to 12 characters with letters, numbers and symbols, then dictionary attacks would likely take decades to crack it.

However, if you are not using your wireless just turn it off completely, then you don't even have to worry about it.

If you want to get even more paranoid do not forward any ports to your machine either.[/QUOTE

There is a software out there (not saying any names) that cracks WPA/AES/TKIP with ease...

so...just for further reference.

Last edited: