Should I wait for the nehalem?

bigd54

New Member
I am putting together a new rig and was wondering if it was worth waiting for the nehalem? If so when is its release date?
 
it seems to me i read it supposed to be out sometime in september, i did also find an lga1366 cooler on newegg, dunno if that means anything
 
rumored to be around 1000 for the setup(motherboard, cpu, 3gb of ddr3) i would wait, the prices on current items should drop a little farther
 
Only the Extreme edition is coming out this year, which is going to be priced at around $1,000 to $1,400 at least. The non-extreme version will be coming out early next year IIRC.
 
Thanks omega I know your word is solid. Anywho what is so new and revolutionary about the nehalem?

http://www.nehalemnews.com/ if you scroll down, there is a chart, explaining prices, and when it will be available, http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showpost.php?p=3163502&postcount=11 theres also that chart
I read that site and it seems like there's a possibility that more models will be introduces around October, although I read elsewhere about only the Extreme versions being out that early, so we will have to wait and see I guess.
 
Will it make the quads that are out now obsulite? And will it require its own mobo or will it be lga775?

It's a whole new chipset altogetherm it's called LGA1366.

So yes, a new motherboard will be necessary (and expencive!)
 
Any idea on price? I mean how good is it? is it worth me not getting a q9550 and just waiting for it?

If you want to use your computer for gaming only then don't waste your time waiting for Nehalem

You should read this article
http://anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=480

I would suggest Nehalem only if you do heavy multi-tasking, or running a multi-threaded applications

The price of the 2.66GHz model will be $285. However, you need to take into consideration than you have to buy X58 mobo and DDR3 memory.
 
Last edited:
the mainstream nehalem at 2.66 Ghz is rumored to be priced at 284 per thousand, which means it is going to cost you about $350(after prices stabilize). the cheaper X58 motherboards are going to be about $250 and 3x1gb ddr3 ram is about $100. so you are look at about $700 for a entry nehalem system. right now you could buy a Q9550, p45 mobo, 4gb ddr2 ram for about 150 less. the nehalem system will have the better CPU and has less ram, but will cost more and you will probably be waiting until after christmas for things to be in stock. it took a couple months for penryn processors to be in stock all the time and i suspect that nehalem is going to be even worse.

I would get the proven winner today, because next best thing is always right around the corner, and if you keep playing the waiting game, you'll never upgrade and enjoy your new computer.
 
Back
Top