Should I Watercool?

HopeCorgi

I'm new to building computers and am over clocking most of my parts, I feel like I could water cool but I don't know if its necessary. I'm not afraid of leaking or anything but here are my specs. I would just like a judgement... watercooling or not :3

Case : Cooler Master Stryker

CPU : Intel Core i7-4790K overclocked

Motherboard : Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2

GPU : GeForce GTX 780 Ti overclocked

Power Supply : EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1

Optical Drive : DRW-24F1ST

SSD : Samsung EVO SSD 500

HDD : Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive

Memory : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline RADIOACTIVE 8GB overclocked

Geoff

VIP Member
I used to have a custom water cooled setup, the total cost was around $300+. It's one of those things people do for looks, bragging rights, or just to say they've done it. Yes performance is better, but for <$75 you can get a great air cooler that will work very well. IMO, the price you pay for a water cooled setup isn't worth the gains.

Some will come on here and say water cooling is the best. It is better than air cooling, don't get my wrong, but the slight gains don't outweigh the additional cost.

Darren

Staff member
Agreed. ^^

Also you really don't need to overclock what you have except for bragging rights and higher benchmark scores.

spirit

Staff member
Grab yourself one of those all-in-one units such as the Corsair H-series and call it done. :good:

Okedokey

I used to have a custom water cooled setup, the total cost was around $300+. It's one of those things people do for looks, bragging rights, or just to say they've done it. Yes performance is better, but for <$75 you can get a great air cooler that will work very well. IMO, the price you pay for a water cooled setup isn't worth the gains.

Some will come on here and say water cooling is the best. It is better than air cooling, don't get my wrong, but the slight gains don't outweigh the additional cost.

This is rubbish. You cannot run 5GHz on some cpus on air. There are some use cases where air simply will not do. Plus with the 780Ti, it loves an overclocked CPU and the 4790K runs hot with almost any overclock. SO yeah, a watercooling loop is a good idea, plus he didn't mention that cost was an issue.

Geoff

VIP Member
This is rubbish. You cannot run 5GHz on some cpus on air. There are some use cases where air simply will not do. Plus with the 780Ti, it loves an overclocked CPU and the 4790K runs hot with almost any overclock. SO yeah, a watercooling loop is a good idea, plus he didn't mention that cost was an issue.
You didn't read my full post. I stated that water cooling is better, but for the premium price it's hard to justify the expense of a good water cooling setup.

He didn't mention price, but he asked for our judgement. This was mine.

HopeCorgi

Thanks so much guys... but I really don't have a budget, so you would recommend water-cooling, any radiators, fans, pumps, etc... that you would recommend to me? (Totally new to this, sorry for being such a bother).

PCunicorn

Yeah, I don't really see the need to attack him over it. I agree with Geoff, its a cool thing to have but quite expensive. It is worth it for some people though. Like Okedokey stated, the 780 Ti requires a very high end CPU (or a overclocked high end CPU like the 4790) so it's not bottlenecked. In this case, water cooling may be a good idea. But I do doubt you will notice a significant FPS increase with that iverclock though.

Okedokey

That case isn't ideal for watercooling. You can only add a 2 x 120mm rad, so I would just cool the CPU. Parts below.

**disclaimer** - you need to do your own research regarding your case, your design and how to watercool. Its not difficult, but plan it by drawing a diagram and watch multiple 'how toos' on you tube.

Notwithstanding the above, the following is a guide and the parts should work. If you want to cool your GPU too, I would add 2 more compression fittings, two blanks and a gpu waterblock to the list. You will probably need a bigger radiator (~3 x 120mm minimum), thus a new case, but either way, you can try it and if you are not getting the overall performance you want, you can add another 120mm rad later to a new case.

Monsoon Series Two Premium D5 / MCP655 Dual Bay Reservoir w/ Quick Change LED Control - Matte Black w/ Black Trim (M2-D5P-MB) - $99.99
8 x Bitspower G1/4 Thread 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Compression Fitting - Silver (BP-CPF-CC5) - $64
Black Ice Nemesis GT Stealth 240 X-Flow Radiator - Black -$63
4 x Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 12mm Fan - 1200 RPM (SY1212SL12L) - $48
A coolant of your choice - $18
Thermal paste - $13
Tubing - $26

HopeCorgi

Could I do some of the cooling externally? Like put a rad outside and hook it up using holes I can make in the case? So I can cool my GPU and CPU as well. I don't mind if it doesn't look the best, and budget isn't a big issue.

Geoff

VIP Member
Could I do some of the cooling externally? Like put a rad outside and hook it up using holes I can make in the case? So I can cool my GPU and CPU as well. I don't mind if it doesn't look the best, and budget isn't a big issue.
Generally you use the rear or top case fans and mount the radiator on either side, and use long screws to secure it. If your case has 2 or 3 120mm fans on the rear or top, that makes a perfect spot to mount a rad without needing to drill.

Okedokey

Yes, the case supports a 2 x 120mm rad at the top. If the budget itsn't a big issue, you're better off getting a better case that will support a 360mm rad or similar. That is what I have.

Okedokey

You could, but you would have to mod probably, even though there are tube holes. This is not something I would recommend for a first time water cooler. You can build the CPU cooling and then add the additional rad and gpu waterblock later. Thats how I would do it.

G80FTW

Very very bad idea, unless you want your motherboard covered in condensation.

Theres filters you can buy to put between your air conditioner and the case that will reduce moisture. Never actually done it, but i have considered trying it before. But i dont really see the need for water cooling myself unless your increasing voltages like crazy on everything or want to reduce noise/dust. Personally, the case i have has panels on it to reduce noise and its quiet enough for me with 4 120mm fans.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
It really depends on your goals and if you want to finagle with it or not.

A sealed AIO is usually the best compromise for no-fuss/warranty/price.

What kind of overclocks are you aiming for?