Should people have identity chips implanted under their skin?

Should people have identity chips implanted under their skin?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

_Kyle_

Definitely a no for regular civilians. Maybe for criminals with a criminal record bad enough to warrant it, but on regular people this is a bit much. There are plenty of other means of identifying somebody: fingerprints, physical appearance, retinas, DNA, etc.

Good luck on your research assignment. :)

Darren

Staff member
How do you know that you already don't have one? :p

How do any of us know? o_O

Contemplation intensifies...
You ever been to the airport? They got these big old archway thingies that detect any metal. Pretty cool tech really, you should check it out.

Shlouski

VIP Member
It would not surprise me if this happens one day.

There are plenty of other means of identifying somebody: fingerprints, physical appearance, retinas, DNA, etc.

If the authorities want to identify someone then they will do so, they will use any and all lawful (hopefully) means and may argue that chips allow people to be identified faster and more accurately, so really it will boils down to the laws and regulations put in place to govern when somebody can be scanned to identify them.

Over the past few years there have been many changes in privacy laws all over the world, which have been ignored in the most part by the general public, it seems people are fine with their privacy being violated as long as they can't see it going on.

_Kyle_

Good argument. However those simple identification chips would most likely evolve to full fledged GPS trackers... because they would argue that they are "necessary".

It makes me sad that privacy is diminishing in our world. Seems like the only way to actually get some is living off the grid.

UnholyVision

Good argument. However those simple identification chips would most likely evolve to full fledged GPS trackers... because they would argue that they are "necessary".

It makes me sad that privacy is diminishing in our world. Seems like the only way to actually get some is living off the grid.
Well it's already likely a GPS and they lie about it. I mean the thing has to have some kind of connection to the outside world to be able to ping the charge to an account. There is such things as Wifi tracking. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_positioning_system) Everytime they get close enough to one of those hotspots I'm sure there is data collected & not to mention the doors they open on the companies connection. The amount of money they put into this system and the prices of the tags their putting into their employees it's hard to believe they wouldn't track it some how. Specially if cooperate hears the whole line, "It comes out so easily as pushing a little on your hand". The thought of retagging people at a high price wouldn't be ideal to management.

If you want privacy then fight for it. Inform the masses, regardless of if they call you crazy.

Darren

Staff member
There's a 2 line limit to discourage overly long and flashy sigs. Personally I'd make it longer but ye.

Darren

Staff member
Discourage? Why? Could just limit size and color options.

2 lines is definitely short. 4 seems more reasonable.

There's more than a couple things I would change if I had any more authority than rule enforcer and spam banner.

UnholyVision

Discourage? Why? Could just limit size and color options.
2 lines is definitely short. 4 seems more reasonable.
Depending on the board software (For example, PHPBB, Vbulletin, SNF, mybb, Simple Machines, et cetera) it could lack sub categories on options for the signatures. Such as to limit image sizes as you suggested. I've personally never used XenForo so I can't say for sure, nor can I say how in depth its ACM or MCP is or if it really has one. Nor can I comment on how in-depth its hacks/mod scene is. However, all that being said it could lack the features and addons/mods that people can easily install, making this required for one to code themselves. If the website owner doesn't want to bother it would be much easier if XenoForo limits a length to just limit that than to modify the board software and just call it a day.

The why this is done is probably to discourage large signatures that are walls. I have been out of the running a forum scene for a while now so I can't comment on if the whole custom signature thing is still around. Yet, people use to make crazy signatures that could be neat looking, but huge in size. Which could be almost as big as my current post now, lol.

beers

Staff member
Mandatory no, optional yes.

I'd be down if I could control all data elements stored in the chip. At that point it becomes a convenient keyfob replacement.

If not then solid nope.

Darren

Staff member
Mandatory no, optional yes.

I'd be down if I could control all data elements stored in the chip. At that point it becomes a convenient keyfob replacement.

If not then solid nope.
It could definitely be useful in a lot of ways, similar to how I think smartphones are under utilized for such things as door access controls and personal ID/data for doctor visits or whatever. Problem is that it inherently is incredibly invasive to privacy and could be a real concern if it was compromised.