Show off your speed

Darren

Staff member
I guess KU has Google Fiber...? Also this is pinging a server in Wichita, about 120 miles away from me. This is in one of the computer labs in the Engineering buildling.

beers

Staff member
I guess KU has Google Fiber...?

Most businesses and large organizations can order huge circuits like that from providers already, such as gigabit or 10 gigabit feeds. We have a couple in our data center at work for redundant MPLS clouds.

Geoff

VIP Member
I guess KU has Google Fiber...? Also this is pinging a server in Wichita, about 120 miles away from me. This is in one of the computer labs in the Engineering buildling.

As Beers said, many corporations and schools have business class fiber brought in that offer symmetrical speeds up to 10Gbps. The high school that I work at is in rural New Hampshire, and we have Fairpoint fiber that connects all of our sites together, as well as serving as our internet pipe for the high school data center. At the moment it's 150/150, but we are looking at dark fiber which will net us 10Gb/s per site.

The VCR King

This is the internet in my school's computer lab. :D
4150382637.png

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I had no idea Comcast Business class went that low. Why didn't they get a higher speed package?

It's about a 50mpbs connection but by the time it gets to me and around the rest of the office it gets that low. The office downstairs also has a line in our connection for the moment since we own the building.

z3r0

Why do service providers place such severe bandwidth restrictions on upload speeds for consumer packages? Business class on the other hand is an entirely different matter.

I pay for up to 15MB/s and rarely get that. They must like me today because they got paid. :)

beers

Staff member
Why do service providers place such severe bandwidth restrictions on upload speeds for consumer packages?

So they can gouge you out the arse for their business packages :p

I always thought the same when the vast majority of consumers are heavily skewed on the download vs upload side. You know there's so much available bandwidth not being used for upstream that's just sitting there .......

Geoff

VIP Member
Why do service providers place such severe bandwidth restrictions on upload speeds for consumer packages? Business class on the other hand is an entirely different matter.

I pay for up to 15MB/s and rarely get that. They must like me today because they got paid. :)

So they can gouge you out the arse for their business packages :p

I always thought the same when the vast majority of consumers are heavily skewed on the download vs upload side. You know there's so much available bandwidth not being used for upstream that's just sitting there .......
There is much less available bandwidth dedicated for upstream vs downstream with cable providers. Cable only has a set number of channels available for downstream and upstream. The vast majority of users require more download speed than upload, so depending on the provider they may dedicate as much as possible to downloads.

Typically, cable providers use either an 4x4, 8x4, or 16x4 configuration, with the second number indicating the number of upstream channels.

In an 8x4 configuration, maximum throughput using DOCSIS 3.0 is 343Mbps/122Mbps. In a 16x4 configuration it would be 686Mbps/122Mbps. Remember, cable is shared among neighbors, so these speeds would need to be shared among a varying number of users depending on the density and configuration. Business class also doesn't offer a vast increase in upload speed, traditionally it only guarantees better/quicker support, and no bandwidth cap.

This is why fiber service is traditionally symmetrical, as there are no limitations in terms of available channels. All that matters is the optics on both ends to determine the speed.

z3r0

There is much less available bandwidth dedicated for upstream vs downstream with cable providers. Cable only has a set number of channels available for downstream and upstream. The vast majority of users require more download speed than upload, so depending on the provider they may dedicate as much as possible to downloads.

Typically, cable providers use either an 4x4, 8x4, or 16x4 configuration, with the second number indicating the number of upstream channels.

In an 8x4 configuration, maximum throughput using DOCSIS 3.0 is 343Mbps/122Mbps. In a 16x4 configuration it would be 686Mbps/122Mbps. Remember, cable is shared among neighbors, so these speeds would need to be shared among a varying number of users depending on the density and configuration. Business class also doesn't offer a vast increase in upload speed, traditionally it only guarantees better/quicker support, and no bandwidth cap.

This is why fiber service is traditionally symmetrical, as there are no limitations in terms of available channels. All that matters is the optics on both ends to determine the speed.

Thank you for the great explanation, Geoff. It's just breaks my heart every time I need to open up the FTP client. There is not a single TWC consumer internet package in this area that offers a fairly noticeable change in upload speed. Relative to the price jump, those speed adjustments are incremental.

Qué será, será...

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Thank you for the great explanation, Geoff. It's just breaks my heart every time I need to open up the FTP client. There is not a single TWC consumer internet package in this area that offers a fairly noticeable change in upload speed. Relative to the price jump, those speed adjustments are incremental.

Qué será, será...
Comcast seems to offer better upload speeds than other cable providers, their tiers are:

16/3
50/10
75/15
100/20
150/20

I have the 150/20 package, and I consistently gets speeds of 177Mbps download and 24Mbps upload. Great for my home NAS.

z3r0

Those tiers looked tempting so I checked whether or not Comcast offered service in this area. Unfortunately that's a no go.

Darren

Staff member
Comcast seems to offer better upload speeds than other cable providers, their tiers are:

16/3
50/10
75/15
100/20
150/20

I have the 150/20 package, and I consistently gets speeds of 177Mbps download and 24Mbps upload. Great for my home NAS.

It's really sad that Comcast, one of the most hated ISP's, still has it's lowest tier at more than double my home internet speed. Any my tier isn't even the lowest.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Comcast has lower speed than that. Different areas have different speeds. I think there is a 6mb and slower speeds here, will look when I get home.

Geoff

VIP Member
It's really sad that Comcast, one of the most hated ISP's, still has it's lowest tier at more than double my home internet speed. Any my tier isn't even the lowest.

Comcast has lower speed than that. Different areas have different speeds. I think there is a 6mb and slower speeds here, will look when I get home.
True, Comcast here has a 6Mbps and 3Mbps package, but those aren't as easy to find so I just included their standard packages.

Darren

Staff member
I'm sure it varies regionally, but still. I'm just annoyed that the US is so behind in the way internet is treated. Although that's about to change I think with the FCC ruling.