Shredding Files?

Warriorhazzard

Hello,

Recently a friend told me that I should always when deleting files do ...

1. Delete
2. Shred

He told me to use the Shred option that comes with McAfee and I have done so. What exactly does the shredding tool do to the files ...does it really delete them?

Someone told me that the directory is never really gone from the disk, does this really do get rid of everything?

Thanks
Warrior :D

GameMaster

Yes, shredder shreds the files, which means once deleted cannot be recovered from the disk.
I believe you know that when your hard drive is dead, and even reformatted, the files are able to be recovered, although very hard.
That McAfee function is good, though not very useful once the file is deleted anyway.

GameMaster

McAffee's built in shredder is good.
Cybershredder should only be used if you have deleted non-malware file/folder that is of some importance ( extreme cases, i.e. you work for a company and have secrets that shouldn't ever be unhidden ), and when you are tossing your hard disk.
McAffee is OK :D

soccerdude

I never tried McAfee's however I have tried Simple File Shredder and it works very well. If you want to try, you can download it here

By the way, it is also free so it never expires.

G25r8cer

The Shredder built into TuneUp Utilities is also very useful and works great. It is added to your right click menu. Just boot up in safe mode and shred it, if its an infection.