Shrinking a DVD

ChrisDVD

Hello,
I want to shrink a DVD, but i am not sure how.
i am using the DVD shring 3.2 version. Could i have help please???

Chris

magicman

VIP Member
What you're asking for is illegal and against the Forum Rules. Circumventing copy protection on disks is not allowed, and that is exactly what that program does.

magicman

VIP Member
::AARON:: said:
how is shrinking a dvd illiegal
Like I said, circumventing copy protection on disks is illegal, regardless of whether it's your own personal copy and it's just a backup or whatever. The program in question not only shrinks a dvd but produces a copy of one, and that is why it isn't to be discussed.

I think it's pretty clear he wasn't talking about home videos.

ChrisDVD

sorry about that, i did not mean to post something that should be discuss.
Really sorry.
in the future i will make sure i post proper stuff. ;)

Chris

Starman*

I'm going to weigh in here because this is something that really bugs me. Copying, shrinking or playing frisbee with a dvd are not illegal activities. People mistake breach of copyright, breach of digital copy protection (DMCA etc) as being synonymous with copying.

As Aaron pointed out the nature of the dvd was not specified. If someone says they want to copy their Blockbuster rental then it is quite clear that it is intended to breach copyright. Asking for advice on copying an unspecified dvd is not against rules of this forum, providing nobody offers advice on removing the protections; it is copyright-free; or the owner is the copyright holder.

Accusing someone of breaking the law without a shred of evidence is against the forum rules (defamatory) and in most courts is known as libel. That's usually difficult to prove (malice aforethought and all that) but it's the thought that counts here.

Perhaps a senior member of this forum would care to comment.

Starman*

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Hey, dvd's have copy protection on them for a reason. We also don't know what type of DVD you're copying. Maybe it's one you actually own that you just want to keep from scratching up...maybe it's a rented one from NetFlix. Regardless, you have to break the copy protection on it and thus it's illegal.

magicman

VIP Member
Starman* said:
Copying, shrinking or playing frisbee with a dvd are not illegal activities.
If you are talking about home-shot videos, then correct, you can do whatever you wish with your footage. However with commercially bought disks, all you own is a licence to play the disk, nothing more. That means doing nothing to alter the content on it.
Starman* said:
People mistake breach of copyright, breach of digital copy protection (DMCA etc) as being synonymous with copying.
You don't have to copy a disk for it to be illegal. As has already been stated, breaching the copy protection is illegal by itself.
Starman* said:
As Aaron pointed out the nature of the dvd was not specified. If someone says they want to copy their Blockbuster rental then it is quite clear that it is intended to breach copyright. Asking for advice on copying an unspecified dvd is not against rules of this forum, providing nobody offers advice on removing the protections; it is copyright-free; or the owner is the copyright holder.
ChrisDVD had the opportunity to turn around and say that it was home videos he was referring to. He didn't, and in fact the software he referred to is well known as being used almost exclsively for the purposes we're talking about.
Starman* said:
Accusing someone of breaking the law without a shred of evidence is against the forum rules (defamatory) and in most courts is known as libel. That's usually difficult to prove (malice aforethought and all that) but it's the thought that counts here.
For all I know, he hasn't done anything wrong, since he made this post to find out how to use the software. I was merely pointing out that to discuss such actions, without specifying his intent with those actions, is too much of an unknown to continue.

And Chris, don't worry, your account won't be deleted. You didn't know, but you do now. It's not you who is continuing to talk about it, anyway. :)

ChrisDVD

ok...but i wonder. is it ok, just say, you bought the DVD. And you have a TV upstairs, and a Home thater downstairs. VCan oyu burn your movies to have a copy up and down? or let's say jsut to keep it form scratching?

Geoff

VIP Member
ChrisDVD said:
ok...but i wonder. is it ok, just say, you bought the DVD. And you have a TV upstairs, and a Home thater downstairs. VCan oyu burn your movies to have a copy up and down? or let's say jsut to keep it form scratching?
No you cant. It doesnt matter what the reason is, you cant break the copy protection of a DVD.

magicman

VIP Member
ChrisDVD said:
No, again because to do so you would have to break the copy protection. It's there for a reason. In owning a disk you have bought a licence to view the film on one tv at a time. By making a copy, in theory you could view it on two tv's at once (not you personally, but you get the idea).

Edit: Woah, 3 replies in a minute. The poor kid is gonna feel ganged up on... :p

ChrisDVD

ok, also, i recently red in the net that that program, DVD shrink, is no longer available at that site....that someone jsut closed it.

Chris

Geoff

VIP Member
ChrisDVD said:
ok, also, i recently red in the net that that program, DVD shrink, is no longer available at that site....that someone jsut closed it.
Probably due to the reasons we stated earlier :rolleyes: