shrinking partition

Bodaggit23

That was my entire point :) Windows is capable of shrinking - but only if there is no data in the area that needs to be shrinked - regardless of type of partition :)
Maybe that's why Windows Disk Management is useless, and the reason I never use it? :D

But that isn't an issue. If you try to shrink a new installation (on a newly formatted partition), you can shrink it 50% (goes for all your NTFS formatted drives, because of the MFT-mirror).
Sorry, but I don't understand this at all.

Say I create a 100Gb partition and install Windows on it.

You're saying I will only be able to shrink that volume to 50Gb?

elobire

heres the image of the free space.
and i have tried to boot from gparted live CD, but it gives me a error about not being able to find my screen.

prntmanagement.png

Attachments

• prnt management.jpg
    prnt management.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 14

Bodaggit23

If you use Windows' own shrinking-tool. There is data in the middle of the partition
I'll have to take your word for that. Thanks for the patient reply. :good:

heres the image of the free space.
and i have tried to boot from gparted live CD, but it gives me a error about not being able to find my screen.
I've had that problem too, because the GParted default resolution wasn't native to my monitor.

I had to hook up an old CRT temporarily. :(

elobire

I'll have to take your word for that. Thanks for the patient reply. :good:

I've had that problem too, because the GParted default resolution wasn't native to my monitor.

I had to hook up an old CRT temporarily. :(

i tried connecting a different monitor but it didnt work. i have another 2 so il try those tommorow.