shutdown n start up takes time

dansilva

my computer takes about 35 seconds to shutdown, is this normal? i think that's just too long for a shutdown, also it takes about 1min 7secs to start the computer completely, is this normal too? yet i think thats too long :)

i have no virus neither spywares, its clean and i am 100% positive about it. i have 280GB(120GB & 160GB) western digital 72000rpm 8mb cache HDs and there is about 7GB of space left rest is fulled with music, movie and others (few softwares). is this why it takes time to shutdown and start up the computer, coz?

thanks

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
my computer takes about 35 seconds to shutdown, is this normal?
Well, what hardware are you running it on? Are you drives running in PIO?

i have no virus neither spywares, its clean and I am 100% positive about it.
And how are you so certain

dansilva

i am running..
P4 3.0ghz
abit IC7MAX3 motherboard
XP Pro OEM
1 gb ram
ati 9800 pro 128mb
soundblaster audugy 2 oem
pioneer dvd writer
280GB HD
antec true power 550W (PSU)

i ran pc-cillin 2004 more than once to ensure no virus as well as spybot n spysweeper to ensure there are no spywares also hijackthis. all came positive so as far as i concern no virus n no spywares.

da_ezman

Could have a bunch of unneeded apps running in the background. Run msconfig and select Startup and see what is on the list as running. I would uncheck as much as possible. I keep my anti-virus and spy sweeper program checked and uncheck everything else. Should help considerably, if you have a bunch running.

:cool:

Scrapped>.<

dansilva said:
my computer takes about 35 seconds to shutdown, is this normal? i think that's just too long for a shutdown, also it takes about 1min 7secs to start the computer completely, is this normal too? yet i think thats too long :)

i have no virus neither spywares, its clean and i am 100% positive about it. i have 280GB(120GB & 160GB) western digital 72000rpm 8mb cache HDs and there is about 7GB of space left rest is fulled with music, movie and others (few softwares). is this why it takes time to shutdown and start up the computer, coz?

thanks

you woun't think that your computer's start up time is slow when compair to my. My takes 3Min and 27Secs to start up compleatly. and i tried every twicks that i can find to fix that problem with no luck.

Do you have any firewall or antivires program installed in your computer? if so that may be the cause of the slow start up.

P.S like what praetor said how are you so certain that your computer are clean? I thought my computer was clean too since i have NIS, but man was i wrong.

Last edited:

dansilva

i have PC Cillin 2004 running as an anti-virus (firewall comes with it + win xp sp 2 firewall) but i have disabled xp sp2 firewall coz i dont need two of them.
like i said as far as i know i dont have any virus, i did a very good clean through registry, HD, antivirus, spysweepers gettin grid off all the un-necessary files.

well according to a friend of mine, he said that its normal. may be it is. unless i have a faster cpu (my current cpu is P4 3.0ghz)