Shuttle SB83G5M, Needing some help....

So, as a goodwill special i got a Shuttle SB83G5M ( https://us.hardware.info/product/1274/shuttle-sb83g5m/specifications ) No HD, no ram, but everything else in there and working. I installed an HHD out of my parents old computer, its working, but i have two minor scares so far. Where in the name of heck do i find DDR400 ram that isnt overly expensive, id like to get 2 2GB cards, but cheapest i can find on that is 80 bucks! That and if i try to boot it now, though admittidly without ram installed, the monitor wont get a signal from the graphics card, not sure if its because the computer cant tell it to do anything without ram installed or what, but i hope it isnt dead, as my only spare doesnt fit in the case. The motherboard seems fine, all the fans turn on (including the one on the graphics card), and the HHD works almost silently. Any help? Im fairly good with PC's, but troubleshooting isnt my thing, even though i built my full size tower.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You most likely won't find a 2gb stick of old DDR ram anywhere cheap. It's old memory and expensive as its not made anymore. In fact, I think DDR has a max of only 1gb per stick for non-ecc. Ebay might be your only hope and you'll want non-ecc memory. Computer won't boot without ram installed. To be honest, wouldn't spend money on this dinosaur.

beers

Staff member
id like to get 2 2GB cards
Max real density you'll find is 1G/stick. Higher capacities with ECC and registered RAM came in 2 GB varieties were released for server builds but likely won't work in that board.

Stuff turning on just tells you that you can get 'power good' from the board and that the PSU turns stuff on.

I have 2x1 GB PC3200 2-3-2-5 sticks here if you're interested.