Side Case Fans: Intake our Exhaust?

Which Way Is/Are Your Side Case Fans Mounted?

• All Intake

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • All Exhaust

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Mixed, Mostly Intake

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Mixed, Mostly Exhaust

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Random/No-Preference

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dont have/want side case cans.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to get a feel for what the majority of ya's do (or would do) with the side case fans :)

Clarification: "side" fan refers to fans that you have (or would have) on say, a case window. :)

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
i got 1 fan in front sucking air in, then 1 window fan sucking air in...then 1 on top blowing air out (hot air rises), then 2 in back pulling air out (psu too if that counts which makes 3)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL ya the reason i ask is that we all know the general 'principle' ... "in the front... out the back' but there's not set standard for side fans :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
yup...u can have it either way. i like mine pullling air in because if i had it taking air out..the air from the front of the case would never reach the back of the case. thats 1 fan in and 4 out lol...that leads to a bad circulation pattern i believe. plus it blows air right on my ram, and my NB...so that helps a little with overclocking and all.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
You can alwasy get active memory cooling :p Vantec has a unit (i think) and so does Thermaltake :)

lol im poor...plus i like the spreaders on my ram...all shiny.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL im running my memory without speaders actually :p ... am considering the AL Thermaltake Active cooler though :)

Nephilim

VIP Member
I've a 120mm Vantec Stealth in my case window to pull in fresh air directly to my HSF which is right behind the Stealth since both my front 80mm intakes are pulling the air in past the hard drives which heats the air up considerably. I wanted to give the HSF some cooler air to work with.

Plus the fact that I like to have the same amount of air being pulled in as is being pulled out. I've two 80mm @ 50CFM apiece pulling in, two 80mm @ 50CFM apiece pulling out (one in the back, one blowhole) and then my PSU pulls out around 44CFM so the Vantec in the side pulling air in evens everything out :)

Geoff

VIP Member
My side fan is an exhaust fan, i have intake on the front (120mm) and two exhausts, on the side and the back.