::Sigh:: I will be called a noob for asking this, but oh well...

DarkNinja

I've decided i really need a PC, I've had many problems with my current one, and I feel it's safer for me to buy one, not make one. I know i will be flamed for making this decision since making one is cheaper, but I don't want to risk breaking anything.

OK, so newegg.com is the best site to buy a PC, right? I found a list of PCs on it that look OK. Which one is best for the money?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... 4022 600014730&IsNodeId=1&name=Intel Core i5

My budget is around $800 to around $950.

I plan on probably doing gaming, like MMORPGS, or other games.

Last edited:

DarkNinja

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
the two that vista posted will not be able to overclock much at all. SB processors are not easy to OC by the FSB.

MyCattMaxx

I see. Can someone tell me which PCs on newegg.com are good? Again, I may not overclock, but maybe i might take the risk in the future and try. Or if there is a better online store, can someone tell me?
I meant Vistakid's links are the same and out of stock.

wolfeking

banned
well with intel, it is pretty much the only way to overclock. FSB overclocking does not really work. @ stock volts 102 is unstable. and raising the voltage really did not stabilize it either.

Pretty much K is the way to go with intel to overclock.

spirit

Staff member
Both of those links are the same.
Whoops this is the other one I'd recommend to the OP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227412

the two that vista posted will not be able to overclock much at all. SB processors are not easy to OC by the FSB.
The one above has an unlocked processor so it will overclock easily, but yes Wolfe is right the other one won't overclock very well. You'll need some sort of aftermarket cooling though before you overclock. I wouldn't overclock a 3570K on the stock cooler.

DarkNinja said:
So if the multiplier is unlocked, this means better overclocking abilities than Intel Processors without the, "k" next to them? Or does it have to have the letter k to even overclock?
You can overclock the non-K CPUs but they're not easy to overclock and they don't overclock very well. As the K CPUs are unlocked overclocking is so much easier. If you want to overclock, you need a K chip.

DarkNinja

Whoops this is the other one I'd recommend to the OP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227412

The one above has an unlocked processor so it will overclock easily, but yes Wolfe is right the other one won't overclock very well. You'll need some sort of aftermarket cooling though before you overclock. I wouldn't overclock a 3570K on the stock cooler.

You can overclock the non-K CPUs but they're not easy to overclock and they don't overclock very well. As the K CPUs are unlocked overclocking is so much easier. If you want to overclock, you need a K chip.

A website i read said the i5-2500k has better overclocking abilities...And the Ivy Bridge is newer, but if i'm correct, the PCs with Ivy Bridge seem cheaper...

spirit

Staff member
The 2500K does maybe overclock a bit better, but the 3570K still overclocks well - they just run a bit hotter once overclocked (from what I've read), and yes the 3570K is a newer part.

claptonman

Have you ever considered asking a local computer shop to build it for you? All you need to do is get a build from this forum, buy the parts, and bring it into a shop and have them build it for a small fee.

Gun

I know you said you don't want to build your own but there is always the option of Barebones kits where the parts are put together for you so you know they're compatible, all you have to do is build it!

Zangetsu

"K" means that you can overclock it more and "easier". Without the "K", its the same cpu but, you cannot overclock that much.

Yeah, there probobly wont be much overclocking from a brand like HP or dell. Cyberpower is very unrealiable, and you should be able to overclock on them. Just build your own!!!! It is so easy, nobody ever understands.