signed in to a Microsoft account

beers

Staff member
Centralized password, app store and profiles like the xbox app, windows activation keys.

That's mainly it, there's some tradeoff where they can correlate browsing/usage habits and data to your centralized profile.

Some apps can leverage your windows account as their own user account like Skype.

Darren

Staff member
There's really no downside outside privacy concerns in my opinion. It's worth it alone for the account tied Windows activation.

UnholyVision

What about when you lose internet connection and can't login. Then have to hope you can change your account back to a local account via safe mode. Jumping through hoops to just use your computer without internet.

_Pete_

Personally I cannot see any advantages other than to Microsoft who have yet another avenue to spam you. Consequently I always set up my computers with an "offline account." I have never had a problem doing this other than the Microsoft nags that "things will be better with a Microsoft account log in." during the installation process. Yeah right.

Darren

Staff member
What about when you lose internet connection and can't login. Then have to hope you can change your account back to a local account via safe mode. Jumping through hoops to just use your computer without internet.

It saves your password locally, that would be fundamentally breaking if it didn't. In fact it's probably easier to get into it if you lose your password since you can recover it thru email unlike a local user.

Personally I cannot see any advantages other than to Microsoft who have yet another avenue to spam you. Consequently I always set up my computers with an "offline account." I have never had a problem doing this other than the Microsoft nags that "things will be better with a Microsoft account log in." during the installation process. Yeah right.

Microsoft doesn't spam you? I've only gotten emails from MS for store purchases (Forza). I swear people just talk crap on things they haven't even used and make baseless assumptions. Don't like it? Fine, don't use it.

UnholyVision

You don't need internet to login using a microsoft account.
Yes if the password is still technically stored. Though I have had this very issue with both Windows 8 and 10. All because I logged into a Windows 10 App which changed my local account into an online account. If they have changed it then good on them, because I haven't used Windows 10 in forever now. Uggh and I was one of the unfortunate people that had to help with a family members Windows 8 RT tablet that did this very thing too. (lol, why they wanted RT I can't tell you, but that's another story).

I swear people just talk crap on things they haven't even used and make baseless assumptions. Don't like it? Fine, don't use it.
If this is directed at me too then meh don't really care mate. It happened to me just like the Oct 18 update deleted peoples files. Sure maybe it didn't happen to you, but doesn't mean it didn't. Nor does it mean it did, but that is the stalemate sir. You're making blind assumptions this very moment.

Edit: Well seems it's not completely gone.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/9a49773b-e9d1-4f92-bb28-af966ca3e85f
With how Windows 10 updates have been going lately, I wouldn't be amazed if there is other variations of this issue.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Yes if the password is still technically stored. Though I have had this very issue with both Windows 8 and 10. All because I logged into a Windows 10 App which changed my local account into an online account. If they have changed it then good on them, because I haven't used Windows 10 in forever now. Uggh and I was one of the unfortunate people that had to help with a family members Windows 8 RT tablet that did this very thing too. (lol, why they wanted RT I can't tell you, but that's another story).

If this is directed at me too then meh don't really care mate. It happened to me just like the Oct 18 update deleted peoples files. Sure maybe it didn't happen to you, but doesn't mean it didn't. Nor does it mean it did, but that is the stalemate sir. You're making blind assumptions this very moment.

Edit: Well seems it's not completely gone.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/9a49773b-e9d1-4f92-bb28-af966ca3e85f
With how Windows 10 updates have been going lately, I wouldn't be amazed if there is other variations of this issue.

Wasn't directed at you. You brought up a valid concern that's been largely addressed by Microsoft. The converting from a local to an MS account is accurate, I have seen that happen in instances like you mentioned.

Windows 8 RT tablets are a nightmare, and you can't upgrade them even to 8.1. My condolences. :p

You gotta understand I worked in a repair shop for two years and was inundated with Windows 10 complaints and issues. I've dealt with that OS and its quirks far more than most people. It's not perfect, but so many people get downright sensationalist with its problems that 99 percent of the time aren't an issue or easily remedied. That's what bothers me. I still have plenty of my own complaints with W10 but a lot of stuff people bemoan is unfounded, and I've got extensive experience with the OS.

UnholyVision

You gotta understand I worked in a repair shop for two years and was inundated with Windows 10 complaints and issues. I've dealt with that OS and its quirks far more than most people. It's not perfect, but so many people get downright sensationalist with its problems that 99 percent of the time aren't an issue or easily remedied. That's what bothers me. I still have plenty of my own complaints with W10 but a lot of stuff people bemoan is unfounded, and I've got extensive experience with the OS.
You can say that about any situation with people on any product. I've worked in customer service in the past, people come in and throw temper tantrums over a pack of tube socks. (Or better yet used underwear, lol) I've also done a lot of similar repairs like yourself, but never officially a repair shop so trust me I know.

Though, you have to admit some of the stuff being said wouldn't be said if Microsoft wasn't being so shady about things. Not to mention the removal of a lot of ease of control over the OS. Then having to change group settings, then jump to privacy settings, and back to the control panel for turning off privacy related things or just to try and gain some control over updates isn't helping their case. Now with the whole crap shoot they call updates being pushed out turning the users into beta testers isn't helping either. All that on the worlds most used OS is bound to cause a much larger build up. Even still, the fact being Windows 10 isn't great and way worse off than Windows 7 and even 8 in some ways is the truth. (Ugh and the fact they extended support for Windows 7 and that stupid "Upgrade to 10" message nags you without removing crapware is a headache in of itself). If they don't change directions some where soon the converts to GNU/Linux will just keep growing. Even more so now that the wide majority of users today just browse the web and do simple little tasks. (I'm not saying everyone will switch, but they will hurt their market-share with a pretty large chunk if they keep going in the current direction).

I've already helped 15 people just recently convert over to Linux just because they wanted a change. Linux Mint for some, Zorin OS, and Peppermint for others and I haven't heard a complaint since. A few how do I use this or that questions, but that's a everyday question even on Windows with a lot of the general public.

OmniDyne

It's not perfect, but so many people get downright sensationalist with its problems that 99 percent of the time aren't an issue or easily remedied.
Agreed. My personal experience with Windows 10 has been incredible, especially when compared to 7. I loved 7, but I've realized 10 is actually a massive improvement. That doesn't mean everyone will have the same experience, but I'd be willing to bet most people didn't have any issues, especially on a clean install. Although I've heard upgrading from 7 to 10 can cause more issues.

Even still, the fact being Windows 10 isn't great and way worse off than Windows 7 and even 8 in some ways is the truth.

I disagree with this completely. I think 10 is the most solid OS Microsoft has ever released. XP and 7 were great, but even 7 was plagued with issues from beginning to end. Especially towards the end. Endless frustrations.

My favorite part about 10 is having control of Startup programs in a tab directly in Task Manager. What a massive improvement. But 10 overall is so smooth and I haven't had to enter Device Manager or MSConfig once. That's incredible, in my opinion.

UnholyVision

I disagree with this completely. I think 10 is the most solid OS Microsoft has ever released. XP and 7 were great, but even 7 was plagued with issues from beginning to end. Especially towards the end. Endless frustrations.

My favorite part about 10 is having control of Startup programs in a tab directly in Task Manager. What a massive improvement. But 10 overall is so smooth and I haven't had to enter Device Manager or MSConfig once. That's incredible, in my opinion.
You're welcome to your opinion, but I don't think you're on the same page here. Because it's not so much as it's not a usable OS that people would like to use. It's the actions that are to speak here. Privacy issues, constantly releasing poor patches, et cetera, which have been turning users away.

I would say the reports of people complaining about there files being deleted from system patches kind of speaks loudly. It wasn't just a small group of people either, but in the thousands before Microsoft pulled it. The real sad part is some of the people in the "fast ring" & "slow ring" made reports about the problem before they went to the general public with the patch. Microsoft pushed them out regardless. Then the so called insiders patches that was suppose to fix the issues rolled out to the people choosing to use those patches experienced the same problem again. Before that issue there was the patches Microsoft pushed for HP that bricked HP computers keyboard drivers.
https://www.channelnews.com.au/hp-pcs-bricked-by-latest-windows-10-update/
https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-october-2018-update-seems-be-deleting-users-data

Honestly, if they wouldn't have laid-off the whole in-house testing/QA department all these stories of broken updated systems wouldn't be so loud. A patch from Microsoft in the past, use to be a recommend thing. Now a number of users are crossing their fingers waiting to see what happens. In house they seemed to actually listen to the people. When the users are the testers they don't seem to want to take their word for it or just not hire anyone to follow up on reports that cares. Considering most moderation teams from Microsoft are outsourced and/or are third parties. (I'm sure we can all agree those canned replies from external parties are so amazing).

Edit: Also again, not saying the OS as a standard use case is bad. It's just current Microsoft vs old Microsoft is kind of a joke. It's trying to be Linux without being Linux. It open-sources it's patents, but doesn't open-source the code, but expects users to be the test subjects in a insider program that only a handful will bother to sign up for with no real perks. While having a tier system that clearly means nothing in most cases such as of late.