Silent computer, please assist

KaBone

I'm not getting any audio. I have HDMI to my monitor, but there's no sound. I plug speakers into the computer and there's still no sound. It hasn't always been like this. I don't know how or why it started. I doesn't seem to make a difference if it's an audio stream, youtube, CD, or DVD. Any suggestions?

KaBone

I tried the simplest obvious stuff first. When I plug in speakers or headphones, the sound processor (internal) gives me a window asking if I indeed plugged in speakers or headphones. I can play a test sound and that works just fine. So I don't think it's muted and there is volume. To reinstall the audio drivers, does that come from the mobo boot disk?

Machin3

Try installing AC' 97 Audio Codec. People go up to me and tell me that their audio doesn't work and I end up installing that codec and everything works fine.

douche

Hmm... What is your onboard sound? Is it HDA (High-def)? If it is, i doubt an AC '97 driver will work for it. Could be the HDMI monitor, did you try a VGA monitor?

bigd54

Haha I know what exactly this is because i did it when i got my gtx 295. Theres a seperate cable that runs from your video card to your motherboard to enable sound while using a hdmi connection. Just find the cable plug it in and your all set.

ultipig

Haha I know what exactly this is because i did it when i got my gtx 295. Theres a seperate cable that runs from your video card to your motherboard to enable sound while using a hdmi connection. Just find the cable plug it in and your all set.

Yes you're right. It is odd how sound comes from a video card, huh?

Anyways, i had this exact problem with my laptop. What you need to do it check if all your cables are plugged in, of course. If you're using an HDMI adapter for your DVI outputs, then you definitely need to plug in your 2-pin sound cable. It should have come with your video card.

Again, check the basics. Check if the sound is muted, make sure your cables are all in correctly, etc, etc.

Good luck.