Silly thing to do...

B@ndit

Hi all,
my first time posting to forum.

At the moment im writing on the kids computer, I had to as mine stopped working and Ive no idea what to do next.

Dont laugh but I use an AST Advantage 7302 P120, 8 years old, it does exactly what i need it to do and at a speed im happy with, Ihave upgraded it several times and it runns quite well, however there was a computer in work getting dumped so I took the CPU from it and popped it in mine, bare in mind mine was a P120 and the new one was an IBM 26x86MX BVAPR266GE (hard to see as writing is unclear) on rear of chip it says IBM 266MMX.

I thought as it was exactly the same size as the P120 it would work however after i changed chip then turned on computer nothing happened, well fans came on and 2 lights on front also came on one keeps flashing, so turned it off and put back in old P120, same problem...

CD rom doesnt spin nor does HDD, however if i leave power lead going to HDD but remove IDE cable it spins and makes noise as normal.... have i blown chip or board? and help appreciated, Ive removed both HDDs and tried them in kids puter and they are working.

Steven.

krazykarl

did you change your bios settings/ jumper settings for use with the new cpu? most older socket 7 mobos still used jumpers to set the multiplier/bus speed of the new cpu, which is most certianly different for a pMMX266 then it would be for a p120

FYI if it turns on, but doesnt beep, this means youve failed the POST (Power-On-Self-Test) and something with your hardware is awry.

unplugging the hdd cable meerly cuts off the signal that tells the hdd NOT to spin up, becasue the computer hasnt posted.

Last edited:

B@ndit

Thanks for those replies,
No I didnt change jumper settings at all, just stuck in the CPU and switched her on.

no, no beep either.
which is most likely to be damaged, CPU, MOBO or DEAD IDE controller as suggested by Cromwell? Ive looked at buy and sell online and can pick up a much better spec for under, well under 100 Euro (Dollars) so am not too worried but would like to get to the bottom of this and see if its even remotely possible to repair.

Steven.

krazykarl

your IDE controller is probably not dead, the drive will meerly not initialize and try to boot if there is no POST. honestly you can probably pick up a cheap celeron 500 and a board fairly cheap on ebay or at a liquidators. but if you are intent on using your current stuff, get ahold of the mobo manual and see a) if it can even support the updated CPU(pMMX has a different core, and chipid then the vanillia pentium) and if it can, make sure you set the jumpers properly.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
now that I think about it somemore, and now know that the POST failed the cpu(s) or socket might be fried, the IBM chip runs at 2.9v, and the pentium should use 3.5v

krazykarl

when you put the p120 back in, clear the CMOS by removing the clock battery for a while, it MAY perhaps get the machine back in working order... then again it may not, but its worth a try. and for the love of god make sure you dont static shock the inside of your machine or any of your parts, anywere, its an instafry.

B@ndit

once again, "Thanks",
Ive removed battery and will see, doubt it will work but if it does.....!!!!!!

Steven.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
FYI if it turns on, but doesnt beep, this means youve failed the POST (Power-On-Self-Test) and something with your hardware is awry.
Or that the speaker isnt connected :)

B@ndit

Thanks to all who replied, however my motherboard is definately dead-diddly-dead-dead....

getting a new board with a deacent cpu next week, hopefully I can sqeeeeze it into my desktop case.

Steven.