Simple database front-end for simple small business

Perantine

I run a small language school and I have a database with language students’ details: names, contact details, ages, lesson times, dob, fees, fee due dates and the like.

I set up a MySQL online database years ago, wrote php/html pages (from a book) and uploaded them to the server. I use these to input/edit student details, move leavers to another table (I realise now that isn’t necessary), get various lists (next month’s birthdays, fees, lesson registers, etc.) and show reports such as fees due each month, students graduating their normal schools next April, etc. It also archives student numbers according to their school grades at the end of each month (which is the 3rd table in my set-up).

So basically the equivalent of spreadsheets with various reports available at the click of a button.

However, the latest PHP update has me giving up trying to learn how to update all those files and I’m resigned to letting it all go once my hosting company switch off the current PHP version. So I’m looking for a simple front-end that I can use to replace this. I looked at LibreOffice Base and it just seems overkill and a time sink for what I want. I was suicidal after getting through the first chapter of the manual. I’m busy running the school and don’t have the time, intelligence nor inclination to be a programmer, too…

So does anyone have any suggestions what my best plan of action would be? Two of us use the db, not always in the same place, so I want to continue with everything online. Oh, and we use Macs.

Pupp

There doesn't seem to be much in the way for front ends, but MySQL Workbench is the front end designed by whoever created MySQL. Perhaps it's a bit easier. It is described as being a visual front end, which might be what you're looking for.

I studied MS Access 2002 I think, nearly 20 years ago. I used the official book from Microsoft to learn the basics of MS Access. Just a beginner's guide. I went to an interview for a job using MS Access. They never got back to me, so after a couple weeks I called and asked if the position was filled yet, and the lady that interviewed me said I was over qualified.

I asked how can I be over qualified by going through a book that's designed to be started and finished in 12 hours or less. She didn't really have an answer.

Perantine

Thanks guys. Looks like there isn’t much out there so I’ve started to recode my existing files. Long job but probably the easiest option.