Simple NAS Drive Recommendation

snmhanson

First post here. Hopefully I have the right place for it.

I need to purchase a basic NAS drive that is primarily going to store a database for a small business. Right now the information is being stored on one of the office computers, but for various reasons we would like to get it onto a NAS drive.

As I said, the drive is mostly for a simple database and will store some Word and Excel files as well. We may store some pictures on it but probably no video or music. I have done a bit of research and have looked at some of the Netgear and Lacie drives, but it is tough trying to figure out what is going to work best for us. I was at Best Buy today and bought a Netgear Stora drive. However, upon opening it and reading the directions it looks like it is made specifically to store home media and it uses a specific interface to access the drive. I could be wrong on that but it seemed to me like you have to use their interface. I really just want a network attached hard drive without anything extra. I would then map all of the office computers to it and direct the database software to it to retrieve records. Is that possible with the Netgear drive that I bought or does it have to be used with the media interface described in the directions? If the Netgear drive won't work can anyone recommend an alternative drive? I use a Simpleshare NAS at home and it seems to work pretty well but I am hoping to find something just slightly more robust for the office. I would still like to keep it at around $300 or less though.

I am also curious about security with the NAS drives I am looking at. Assuming the network has a functional firewall should I be concerned about security for the NAS? Of course I use security software on all of the computers but I need to consider it further before I move the critical and personal data to a NAS. The network is both wired and wireless and the wireless is not broadcast and uses a WEP code.

Thanks for any input or direction anyone can offer.

Matt

The Qban

my recommendation is LINKSYS NAS200 Network Storage. I use this for one of my companys small small small network that i manage and they love it. Any computer will be able to access it with no problems.
Only problem is that it does not come with any HD's. You have to buy seperately. But it has support for both SATA and IDE. Security, the NAS comes with the option of you adding a password to access it among other things. You can use RAID 0/1. Comes with Auto backup software as well that you can install on any comp of your choice, not limited to just one, all. Plus plus