Simple Question....

PCnoob4now

This question is concerning the "Intel D865 PERLL" i'm going to buy one configured so i'd just have to pop it into my case and go.... my question is this.... which config is better AND why??

Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz 1mb Cache (800MHz FSB) w/ 2 GB PC3200 DDR (512 MB PC3200 x4)

OR

Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz (i'm assuming no cache since it wasn't stated) (800MHz FSB) w/ 1 GB PC3200 DDR (512 MB PC3200 x2) and Kingston HyperX Low Latency (CAS-2)

4W4K3

VIP Member
the 3.4 has a cache...they just forgot to mention it. but a ? for you. how are you going to fit 4 Ram's if your mobo only has 3?!? unless you have a board with 4 dimm slots of course. i would go for the 3.2 with 2GB or RAM...as long as you can use all 4 RAM sticks. what mobo you have?

PCnoob4now

at the moment i don't really know what motherboard i have.... i am currently building a new comp for my self and i'll give the one i got to my sis.... the "Intel D865 PERLL" does have 4 dimm slots.... ok... so you'll the 2gig config?? now what i wanna know is why whould your get that board... what makes it better then the other config??

4W4K3

VIP Member
PCnoob4now said:
what makes it better then the other config??

well I would get that perticualr setup because i know i can take that 3.2ghz Intel up to 3.6-3.8 easily. and the 2GB would be great for ME cuz i like to game/F@H/photoedit, i just think i would benefit from more ram. now this doesnt matter whatesoever to you though. the question to ask is what are YOU wanting to do with the computer. if its just used for a normla homework/internet machine...get whatever is cheaper. but if your interested in gaming/speed/software/overclocking...somethng that requires a fast CP and lots of ram...id get the 2GB option and just up the 3.2GHz CPU. thats my reasoning at least...

if you have 4DIMM slots then you should be fine. jsut make sure your board supports PC3200 and your set.

PCnoob4now

i'm definatly going to be using the comp for gaming/speed/software/overclocking.... ok now what about the "Kingston HyperX Low Latency (CAS-2)".. wouldn't that make a difference in speed on the motherboard?? or is the extra gig of ram a bigger difference the the "Kingston HyperX Low Latency (CAS-2)"?? and my last question would be wtf is "Kingston HyperX Low Latency (CAS-2)"?!?!?! lol

4W4K3

VIP Member
PCnoob4now said:
i'm definatly going to be using the comp for gaming/speed/software/overclocking.... ok now what about the "Kingston HyperX Low Latency (CAS-2)".. wouldn't that make a difference in speed on the motherboard?? or is the extra gig of ram a bigger difference the the "Kingston HyperX Low Latency (CAS-2)"?? and my last question would be wtf is "Kingston HyperX Low Latency (CAS-2)"?!?!?! lol

im not going to bash on kingston...but i just really think the "hyper-X" line was kinda flimsy. lots of people had trouble running it at its CAS-2 timings, and some sticks didnt overclock well. but then some people had tremendous luck with it and are very happy with it. so really its just what brand you want. what other brand were you considering (the 2GB kit) i think another gig of ram will do wonders more than the Hyper-X kit, even if it has looser timings. oh about the name, RAM's run on timings, best being 2-2-2-11 or 2-2-2-5 in most cases. the first # is called CAS which is what kingston displays as CAS-2. there memory is rated at a pretty fast speed. the other #'s im not going to explain. let me find you a webpage that explains it 10000000X better than i could lol.

4W4K3

VIP Member
PCnoob4now said:
thanx 4w4k3.... you've been a great help with my problem.... i really appreciate it...

np, i jsut hope i didnt make too many spelling errors lol. im terrible when i type fast.