Simple Yes or No network question

Bergkvist

Hello,

Because of a disagreement in views concerning a network related matter with another person, I am now posting this question here, for you to give your unbiased answers.

The matter:
Two computers are connected to internet through the same router. One computer is suffering from connection problem at times.
Is it possible to attribute these internet connection problems to the other computer? Is it possible for this other computer to send some jam signal that causes these internet connection issues for the first computer?

Pardon for the poorly enunciate thread title and possible fuzziness, English is not my native language.

Thanks in advance
Bergkvist

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Is the connection issue intermittent? What happens when it's a stand-alone computer without any other computers on the network? Only thing the other computer could be doing is sending a DoS attack at it.

Bergkvist

Is the connection issue intermittent? What happens when it's a stand-alone computer without any other computers on the network? Only thing the other computer could be doing is sending a DoS attack at it.
The internet connection issues does allegedly not occur when only the computer with internet connection issues is connected to the router.

A DoS attack? What would that mean in practice? Would it require the intention from somebody to create this problems?
I should note that there is no way that this is a issue that has been created intentionally by somebody. The problem in question does also appear when the internet problem issue computer is connected to the modem, while the other computer is connected to the router.

The internet connection issues are intermittent. The problem do not appear constantly when both computers are connector to the same router.

Thanks you for your reply
Bergkvist

Last edited:

jspears80

Your overall connection provided by your ISP only has so much data throughput (bandwidth). If you are experiencing connection issues or slow Internet specifically when the other computer is turned on only, then it is possible that the other computer is sending a lot of traffic across the network.

This could be because that computer has a virus and is spamming data over the network for whatever reason (DoS attacks, email spam, etc) therefore eating up all your bandwidth available for any other device connected to your network. Reformatting or restoring that computer would fix any virus issues that could potentially make this happen.

But if you have connection problems even when that computer is turned off then the problem probably lies elsewhere.

In the end, if your having connection issues "something" is eating up your bandwidth (viruses spamming your network) or your network hardware is flaking out (router/switches).

Bergkvist

Your overall connection provided by your ISP only has so much data throughput (bandwidth). If you are experiencing connection issues or slow Internet specifically when the other computer is turned on only, then it is possible that the other computer is sending a lot of traffic across the network.

This could be because that computer has a virus and is spamming data over the network for whatever reason (DoS attacks, email spam, etc) therefore eating up all your bandwidth available for any other device connected to your network. Reformatting or restoring that computer would fix any virus issues that could potentially make this happen.

But if you have connection problems even when that computer is turned off then the problem probably lies elsewhere.

In the end, if your having connection issues "something" is eating up your bandwidth (viruses spamming your network) or your network hardware is flaking out (router/switches).
The issue is not bandwidth consumption related.

The question is if it is possible for one computer to send a jam signal to another computer, through the router and thereby creating internet connection issues at times for the other computer.
The internet connection issue in question is ONLY expressed by the reluctant logging out from a specific computer game.

Thank you for your reply
Bergkvist

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Is the other computer acting normally? Cause I've encountered virus' before that block internet access to the rest of the network computers.

Bergkvist

Is the other computer acting normally? Cause I've encountered virus' before that block internet access to the rest of the network computers.
Yes, apart from this issue, both computers are fully functional in all regards.

Obviously, an orderly virus search has been performed as a part of the trouble shooting.

Thanks for your reply
Bergkvist

I would scan for any spyware, malware and viruses. then I would maybe switch out the cable with a new one to the one that is acting up and then if still something is going wrong. I would then reset the router.

ayan

It might be possible for the other computer to monopolize the network, and occupy all the bandwidth, but that's not very common . Just make sure you don't download big things. If you don't it might be your router.
My router used to randomly disconnect because it overheated. I partially solved the problem by putting on top an old cooler, but the permanent solution is to buy another router...

jspears80

Nobody should be able to send a "jam signal" from the Internet through your router into your network/computers. Your router has a firewall and shouldn't allow anything to be forwarded into your network without you explicitly allowing it.

Somebody could in theory try and DoS your router and bring it to its knees but no packets will get past your router unless you allow that service/port through.

Short answer is No, a external computer cannot send a "jam signal" into your network unless you allow it in. Even then the most they could do is try and bring it down with DoS attacks.

How do you know its not bandwidth related?

If a computer is on the same network it can cause network disruption by flooding packets for a variety of reasons. But an external computer is being blocked by your router firewall / NAT and therefore would not be able to effect internal devices.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Either a bad network card or a bad port on the router or I've seen malware cause this symptom as well.

EINREB

Do you know under which cicumstances you expierence the troubles at the computer affected? Can you duplicate it at will? Since you are connected to the same router, you can not be very far located from each other, so it should be possible to keep track of what you are doing to cause the problem.