Simple... yet wierd question bout RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoloSL203

what would happen if ram is takin out of a computer while its turned on? will there be an electric shock, will it damage the ram etc.

ZER0X

VIP Member
I dont know about RAM but I've tried taking at cables why the computers on....NASTY! it had wild electricity :p

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I cant see it being GOOD for the computer.

I know you need to have RAM in the slot 0 for machine to start up..

AND.. RAM is constantly being accessed and used... so taking it out while various parts of the computer are storing info in it would likely F things up.

I have to ask:

WHY?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
RAM is definitely not a hot-pluggable component. But even if you could take out the memory module without electric damages, the running softwares will certainly freeze or get messed up. And if there was some data in hdd write cache then taking out the RAM could damage some data on the hard disk, or even the entire file system.
So I'm asking the same thing as SFR: WHY?

Bobo

banned
I did that once, just bc I didnt want to bother turning it off, and any time it senses anything moved, the comp freezes. At least mine does. But that is only taking out one stick (or putting in). I dont know what would happed if you took them all out, my guess would be that it would freeze, bc no data could get anywhere, but everything else would still function. Dont try it, please, like SFR said, it WILL NOT be good for the comp. Whether or not it f's it up, I really dont know. Curiosity killed the cat, and will electrocute a curious human. :D

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
what would happen if ram is takin out of a computer while its turned on? will there be an electric shock, will it damage the ram etc.
You'd graduate from Stupid High :D If you do it, you deserve to find out what happens :p

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Praetor said:
You'd graduate from Stupid High :D If you do it, you deserve to find out what happens :p
LOL!

...I was trying to be more "delicate" in my reply.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
pulling anything out when the computer is on is crazy, unless you are running server equipment thats hot swappable. even then, I'm almost positive theres no hot swappable ram

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well USB keys and stuff use "NVRAM" which is (if you get stupidly technical), is a type of RAM :p Of course hotpluggin/hotswapping a USB Key and something like system memory are totally different things heehee

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well for starters you wouldnt remember (provided you survive) considering it controls memory .. in either case, it's time to move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.