Sims 3 not working on my MSI Notebook

Piggy-pack

Hi,

I own an MSI Notebook and currently am having trouble getting Sims 3 to work on it. I recently wiped my notebook and restored it back to the begining using the restore settings in the control panel. I succesfully managed to upload sims but when I tried to open it says there is a problem with my graphics card.

Any help is appreciated

Many Thanks

wolfeking

banned
ok. First off we need more information that just a "MSI" laptop. What are the hardware and software specs.

we need the OS (windows version) and GPU version.

Since it is a GPU error message I would venture to bet 3 things could be wrong.
1. Your card doesn't support the DX version the game needs.
2. The card doesn't meet the minimum requirements of the game (or on the games approved list).
3. The card drivers are out of date.

A really helpful measure would be to post a screenshot of the exact error message you are getting.

Piggy-pack

MS-N014
Operation System Free DOS, Support Windows® 7 and Windows® XP
Processor Intel® Atom™ N450 Processor (embedded), 1.66GHz
Chipset Intel® NM10 Express
Graphics & Video Module Intel® GMA 3150 (shared system memory)
Main Memory
1GB on board and 1GB on SO-DIMM
Total 2GB DDR2 667MHz RAM included
Display 10" Non-glare WSVGA (1024 x 600)
Express Card Slot None
Card Reader SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro 4-in-1 Card Reader
Hard Disk Drive 160GB SATA HDD included
Optical Drive None
LAN 10/100 LAN x 1
Wireless LAN WLAN 11b/g/n included
Bluetooth Optional, not included
Webcam 1.3 mega pixels
I/O Ports
• Monitor (VGA) : 15 pin D-Sub x 1
• USB 2.0 : 3
• MIC-in : 1
• Headphone out : 1
• Modem jack (RJ11) : 0
• LAN jack (RJ45) : 1
Audio
• Intel HD Audio
• Speakers: 2
• Internal Microphone x 1
Battery Pack & Life 6-cell Battery included
AC Adapter 19V DC, 40W/Input: 100~240V AC, 50/60Hz universal
Dimensions 10.2" x 7.1" x 1.5" (with a 6-cell Battery)
Weight 2.8 lbs. (with a 6-cell battery)

wolfeking

banned
you are right on the edge of the necessary hardware. And it is a laptop, which makes it worse as its not an easy upgrade to get it up to par. Here is what the system requirements page says about the GPU requirements.
Laptop versions of these chipsets may work, but may run comparatively slower. Standalone cards that are installed in vanilla PCI slots (not PCIe or PCIx or AGP), such as some GeForce FX variants, will perform poorly. Intel integrated chipsets featuring underclocked parts will not perform adequately.
Integrated chipsets such as the ATI Xpress and the NVIDIA TurboCache variants will have low settings selected, but should run satisfactorily.
As you can see, your right on the bottom of playability (its the worst card listed), and its a downclocked laptop version. This means your S.O.L.

You might try overclocking it with Afterburner or Precision, but that is risky on a chipset card like that. Intel might have locked the clocks anyway.

wolfeking

banned
what that error message is saying is that the game can not run because your Graphics Card is not compatible with the game your trying to run.
Basically what your trying to do is power a ranger with a 10HP Briggs and it wont move. Its too much game for your computer.

Aastii

VIP Member
You are trying to play this game on a MOBILE PROCESSOR! IT WILL NEVER WORK. THAT PROCESSOR IS TERRIBLE.

firstly, the sims is not a demanding game, it will and does run on laptops and mobile devices, just not OP's as it isn't powerful enough. Secondly, The CPU is not terrible at all, it is just not strong enough for the game

netbooks arent for gaming

if youre trying to game mobile you need a gaming laptop

not a msi notebook

Notebook, not netbook, it is the same thing as a laptop, and even then a mainstream laptop should run the sims.

strollin

You are at the bare minimum for hardware but according to these reqs, it looks like it should work:

The Sims 3 World Adventures Minimum Hardware Requirements

PC OS: Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista SP1 or Windows 7
CPU: (XP) 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent; (Vista and Windows 7) 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
RAM: (XP) 1 GB RAM; (Vista and Windows 7) 1.5 GB RAM
HARD DRIVE: At least 3.5 GB* of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games.
VIDEO: DirectX 9.0c compatible Video Card with 128 MB of Video RAM and support for Pixel Shader 2.0

*9.6 GB if installing with The Sims 3
Supported Video Cards: Nvidia GeForce series: FX5900 or greater, G100, GT 120, GT 130, GTS 150, GTS 250, GTX 260, GTX 275, GTX 280, GTX 285, GTX 295; ATI Radeon™ series: ATI Radeon 9500 series of greater, X300, X600, X700, X800, X850, X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950, 2400, 2600, 2900, 3450, 3650, 3850, 3870, 4850, 4870, 4890 series or greater; Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA): GMA 3-Series, GMA 4-Series.

Please note that the GeForce 6100 and 7100 cards are not supported.

Your posted specs say you have an Intel GMA 3150 and the game specs say GMA 3-series is supported. Perhaps you need to update the driver for your graphics card.

Last edited: