--> Single Core CPU

boyserk84

I'm just wondering

what is the best/fastest single core CPU in the market today?
Preferably, AMD brand
(Since we have duo core cpus coming out)

Any suggestion?

Jet

VIP Member
Why are you asking this question? What motherboard do you need a processor for? Why are you wanting a single core instead of a dual core? Probably the AMD A64 4000+

Bradan

quad cores are out....

3ghz amd athlon fx-74 fastest single core

just get a core2duo and overclock it

maroon1

Why are you asking this question? What motherboard do you need a processor for? Why are you wanting a single core instead of a dual core? Probably the AMD A64 4000+

Athlon 64 FX-57 is the fastest single core in the market....

quad cores are out....

3ghz amd athlon fx-74 fastest single core

just get a core2duo and overclock it

athlon fx-74 is not single core.......

StrangleHold

Staff member
With single cores I would say the FX-57 with the AM2 Athlon 64 4000 second and the 939 Athlon 64 4000 third.

2048Megabytes

So is it the fastest single core processor the AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 (2.8 gigahertz) or the Intel Pentium 4 670 (3.8 gigahertz)?

Isn't it the Intel Pentium 4 670?

Iluvpenguins

So is it the fastest single core processor the AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 (2.8 gigahertz) or the Intel Pentium 4 670 (3.8 gigahertz)?

Isn't it the Intel Pentium 4 670?

the 3.8ghz vs the 2.8ghz is a very shallow way to evaluate. The processors run at different FSB speeds and are completely different in how it works. The FX-57 would definitely kick the P4's ass

2048Megabytes

I know different processors work differently which is why I asked as top of the line CPUs can perform more functions per cycle than others.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
The A64 and FX line of "brainiacs" could process upwards of three instruction per clock cycle. While the P4 "speed demon" had something around a 1 IPC rate. Add to that the AMD chips has a much more efficient architecture and an on-die memory controller, They are undoubtedly the best of the single core chips.

Intel saw how efficient this low clock rate, high IPC rate was, and adopted it into their next series of chips, the core 2 duo's. They improved their micro-architecture around this point, and created a chip AMD has trouble with beating to this day. They're even going to try the on-die memory controller approach with the Nehalem series. Bunch of copy-cats.. :D

Geoff

VIP Member
I think there is a single core processor faster than the AMD Athlon FX-57. It is the AMD Athlon FX-74 (3 gigahertz) single core processor. It is a Socket F (1207) Central Processing Unit. Anyone else verify this?

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=21

No the FX-74 is a dual core
Just restating what StrangleHold said. The FX-74 and all the FX-7x series are dual-cores. They are designed to be used in pairs as well.