Single or Duel?

Ace1627

Are you sure on that? I think it just splits the processers allowing for multitasking but I have never herd of it doubling the speed.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Ace1627 said:
What would be the advatages between a single and duel processors? Thanks.

It is providing users with almost double the processing power in the same amount of space. :)

Ace1627

Doubble the processing power in the same amount of space? If you are looking at physical space in the tower, wont it take up more space? And will you need a special motherboard for this?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What would be the advatages between a single and duel processors? Thanks.
Depends on the processor configuration. If you got a Xeon setup, probably not all that much as they are designed for serious clusters. Running Opterons might be a more feasible for a smaller setup -- of course if you want a best of the best, you should probably consider a OPteron cluster ... unless money IS an object.

twice the speed?
... twice the management :p

Doubble the processing power in the same amount of space? If you are looking at physical space in the tower, wont it take up more space? And will you need a special motherboard for this?
You'll want a serious case if you go that route... not some pretty gamer case :)

i think u need a MB with two cpu slots.
You will :p

jjohnston

I allways have heard that duel processors only really increase the processing speed for processes that are actually multi task able. Like if you are running a program that is straight forward single task no change. but as soon as you start throwing multiple calculations at it at once then you REALLY notice a difference. Atleast thats what I have heard. but I'm kinda a newB

4W4K3

VIP Member
Dual Opterons/Xeons are pretty popular. I think Dell makes manufactured DualProcessor machines. I seen there commercials like 10,000,000 times lol. You need a 2*CPU Mobo, and i thought u needed twice the RAM as well...not sure though.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i thought u needed twice the RAM as well...not sure though.
If you dont, you should. And registered mem at that

as soon as you start throwing multiple calculations at it at once then you REALLY notice a difference.
Very true: math/engineering and video/animation type actions make use of it