Sirs, Critique my Setup plz !

BananaTwazzler

So, the venice is better in what ways? Overclocking and such!? Is its performance good enough to justify the aprrox. $50 difference (w/ the rebate)?
Also, what exactly is sse3?

Thanks!

Geoff

VIP Member
I wouldnt get that monitor, you can get a 19in on sale at bestbuy for $100. Or get a 17in LCD for about $190. The rest looks good except taht i think the heatsink is a little expensive.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. The entry for MOBO is a 90mm fan and your case only has 80mm slots AFAIK
2. Have a look at the HDD101 ... while the Raptor is a nice drive, you can generally get a much better deal for equal/less money
3. You can do much better for the PSU, see the PSU101 for some suggestions
4. For the CPU, the description says "Clawhammer" but the specs suggest otherwise
5. For a motherboard I might suggest the MSI Neo2 Platinum or DFI LanParty

Ah, the venice eh! I think that Clawhammer 3500+ looks nice because its got a $30 mail-in rebate.
Yes but its not neccesarily a Clawhammer (cuz newegg is retarded sometimes/always). And a $30 rebate isnt worth the drop down to the messed up Clawhammer

get the venice! sse3 all the way
You do realize not a lot of things use SSE3 right? And even in situations that do, SSE3 isnt an earthshattering improvement like SSE2 was to SSE. The tweakage to the memory controller is a far better reason to buy it

So, the venice is better in what ways? Overclocking and such!? Is its performance good enough to justify the aprrox. $50 difference (w/ the rebate)?
1. If you want to overclock, get better RAM first cuz that will be holding you back
2. Winchester is prolly better for overclocking

I wouldnt get that monitor, you can get a 19in on sale at bestbuy for $100. Or get a 17in LCD for about $190. The rest looks good except taht I think the heatsink is a little expensive.
Yes but a $100 monitor isnt gonna have a d.p of 0.20

BananaTwazzler

Thanks for the responses/info! So, I'll prob end up going with the Winchester 3500+.

After reading the PSU/HDD faqs.... so, i need a PSU with good +12V rail amperage... and for the HDD, the Maxtor 16M cache models perform well and you get more bang for the $$$, but is Maxtor a good brand?? Some of my friends//reviews say otherwise!?

Thanks again!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Every company has their good stories and their bad stories :) Anyone too fanboyish too realize that doesnt realize that if companyX was so bad ... they'd be out of business. :)