Skipping sound and/or video after 40 minutes of playback....

graedus

hi all, don't know if this is the right sub-section to post in but here goes. whenever i'm listening to music, or watching video, the sound skips intermitently after about 40 minutes or so of playback. this happens with a cds in the rom, mp3s on the disk, dvds in the rom, as well as video from disk. have no clue why this is happening, i've re-installed codecs to no avail. please help.

running athlon 64 x2 5600 (2.8 mHz), maxed out ram on xp pro (4gb, so actually 3.25gb), and geforce 8600 gt.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Usually stuff like this happens when buffers begin to run out. What player are you using? Have you tried fiddling with buffer settings or simply trying another player? I personally use Media Player Classic.

BTW, 2.8GHz ;)

PC Hobbyist

Hmm, if it is only the sound (i.e. video image plays fine) and it happens with all types of audio formats, and from all locations played, and it only happens after about 40 minutes of playing time.... then I wonder if is related more to the sound card or its drivers.

What sound card do you have? Have you tried installing the latest drivers? What service pack do you have on XP?

Have you noticed any other problems with your computer? Does it overheat?

When and how did the problem begin? Just all of a sudden out of nowhere?

Just for the heck of it, if you have more than one location where to plug in speakers or headphones, try them all out and see if the problem occurs in all of them. My guess is that it will, but it doesn't hurt to check.

graedus

i have a "Creative SB Live!" series soundblaster card from way back (it's from 2002 i think). but the problem occurs even with the onboard sound card from my motherboard ('realtek' something or other) which is new in january of 2008.

funny thing, the skipping will happen sooner than 40 minutes if i pause the video/music.

there is no overheating, i have no other problems that are noticeable, and this skipping thing did just pop up out of nowhere.