Sky internet is a joke

meanman

I am with Virgin Media but a mate of mine decided to go with Sky tv phone and internet, the phone sockets and tv box were all installed by Sky, the internet modem was sent through the post for my friend to install, needless to say what should of been straight forward turned into an epic waste of time, firstly we installed it (hard wired) and turned it on only to find the pc reporting local access only so for another hour we tried over and over with the same result, we rang Sky and i spoke to the Sky support person who kept calling me pal, i explained what was happening and he said if he sent an engineer out and the problem was due to us installing it wrong we would be charged £105 call out and £65 an hour plus £35 for a new modem, this means Sky is putting the installation of there broadband onto the customer, personally i think this is unprofessional and totally wrong, now my friend has an engineer coming Tuesday and he is sweating and praying it is something broken with the modem and not something we have done.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds pretty poor,Im with Virgin media here aswell and i have to admit..they are more pricy then everyone else but they dont give you all that grief you mentioned sky gave you above.

I was actually chatting to Sky,s Live support a couple of weeks back to see what deal they could offer me on a Internet + TV package.

I told the guy all i wanted was a price for their fastest 20mb unlimited broadband and a couple of packages i selected for the TV and this guy kept on going on...and on...and on about adding other packages on top which i said i did not want,Then they said i could not have the internet or TV if i did not take out a phone line (which i don't want)..so i said no thanks you just lost a potential new customer...total waste of time.

So il be sticking with Virgin media,Which don't force a phone line on you for using their other services,and of course the bonus of been upgraded to 100mb in a couple of months time!
You should tell your mate to go with Virgin.

GaryCantley

I'm with BT and have just had our exchange "upgraded". I now receive about 2.4mbps (I dont live in the back of beyond but I can see it from my kitchen window :) ).

I had a problem during the upgrade and had a massive argument with BT until I got someone I could talk to. He informs me that the callout charge is so high as they have alot of people calling in who, say get 15mbps and suddenly they are getting 14.95mbps, this is seen as a problem to some customers.

I have an email here from the head of BT stating that he didnt think £100 callout wasnt too much and now, having heard the reasons, I dont think it is too.

Test the connections within your house, use a different router to see if you get a solid ADSL light, then call them out if you do.

spirit

Staff member
PlusNet over here. It's free for us because Dad's been recommending them to people for a long time, and now they pay us £35 a month so that we keep recommending them, but there's a catch. We have an 80GB upload and download allowance a month, and if we go over that they charge us £1 per GB uploaded/downloaded. 80GB upload and download (combined, not separate) just isn't enough for four people who are constantly uploading, downloading and streaming things to and from the internet. :/ This is why I can't go on YouTube at the moment and why I can only upload a few photos at a time to Photobucket.

I have to say though, most of the ISPs in the UK are pretty poor. They seem to charge an awful lot of money and in return give you poor services and then blame and charge you when you do things wrong.

linkin

VIP Member
I have to say though, most of the ISPs in the UK are pretty poor. They seem to charge an awful lot of money and in return give you poor services and then blame and charge you when you do things wrong.

Sounds like Australia. Though I live in a metro area now, so 100mbit cable with 500GB data, $109 a month, plus phone calls