Skyrim Graphics Issue 7850 (with video)

Darren

Staff member
Skyrim Graphics Issue 7850 (with video) Flashing and Flickering

Hey all. I haven't really played Skyrim on my new card until now and have noticed an issue. I get random graphics glitches when playing. Especially outside when viewing long distances. The Sky might flash or the terrain could flash or other weird issues. I managed to get some video of it going on.

I don't think it's Overheating as my card got to 53 when recording this after about 40 mins of playing. Also it happens as soon as I launch the game, not as time goes on. I think it's just a problem between the game and the card since no other game has this issue.

Drivers are up to date.

[UT]KYzM-9dwpJk[/UT]

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
My friend was speaking to me about this issue. He said he got some sort of texture pack and it was creating these issues. He has a GTS 250, so I think it could possible be just a bad texture pack.

Darren

Staff member
Removed OC and still happening.

I do have the HD Texture Pack installed but it didn't have this issue on my 5770 with the same texture pack.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
If the driver isn't the issue I'm it's a bad mod you installed(if you installed one)
Normally the texture pack will not cause this.

Darren

Staff member
Okay I pinned it down to AA. When I have AA enabled in options at start of the game it has the issue with flashing and other glitches like above. When I turn AA off it's gone for the most part. Still happens occasionally but not nearly as noticeable. Just like a few distant trees flashing or the like. FXAA doesn't have the issue. I tried but 12.10 (offical) and 12.11 beta. Both have same results but 12.11 has way better BF3 performance so I'll stick with it.

Thanks for the responses. Hope AMD releases a fix in the full release of 12.11

nosideph

Hi Denther,

Not that I'm happy to know someone else out there is experiencing the same issue like myself, but at least I know it's the 7850 thats causing it.
I've been experiencing the graphics glitch like the one on your video though not very frequent, and barely noticeable. That was when my catalyst was still on 12.8. It's become an eyesore ever since I upgraded to 12.10 - frequent and a large portion of the screen is affected, whether in or outside of town.
I'm pretty contented with in game texture so I don't have any improvements installed, and I'm just running the game on high settings at 1920x1080, nor have I bothered overclocking. I do have texture mods for characters, though I doubt that's the one causing it because the glitch is evidently coming from the environment. I've tried running the game with mods deactivated but still the same. Though on very low settings even with mods active, no such issue aside from the blinking pix-elated glitch on the shadows...

Hope a fix does come out soon :(

Not playing anything else right now other than heavily modded skyrim so decided to revert to catalyst ver 12.3 that came with the installation disc and no more glitch even at ultra high setting.

Last edited:

SuperDuperMe

I have just started having this when i patched a few days ago, mine are white flashes almost like artifacts.

Only game it happens to.

Only thing iv changed lately is my monitor.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I actually got the game yesterday and played it and noticed it was stuttering a bit on my 5870. No other game that I have does that.

*Sigh*.

SuperDuperMe

Think it might have been something to do with steam update. I got a message other day saying it was converting game to more efficient something or other and these glitches started happening then.

Darren

Staff member
It's a driver issue. Rolling back to like 12.3 gets rid of it completely but I don't think it's worth it. Turn off AA and just wait for the next driver from AMD that hopefully fixes it.