Slave Drive

Timbo

So I built a computer for my mom and my dad and they said they still wanted all of the stuff from their old hard drive. I decided that I'd just set it up as a slave. ( it has windows 2000 installed ) and their new hard drive has windows XP. The thing is though, on the hard drives themselves there isn't any slave/master jumper information. It says on my new hard drive ( sata ), that it doesn't require slave/master. But, my parents old hard drive, it's a 20 gig hard drive, isn't SATA and there is no jumper information on there either. So if I have just my new one hooked up it runs xp and when I have both hooked up it runs 2000 but I guess since it detected the hardware is different it doesn't really work. I'd prefer if I could get it to boot off my new hard drive and just use the old one as a slave but I have no clue how to do this now. No idea how I'm supposed to arrange the jumpers, if I'm supposed to arrange the jumpers. Gah! Help!

Geoff

VIP Member
Go into the BIOS when you first turn your computr on, go into the boot sequence, and have it boot from the SATA drive first.

Timbo

The only things in the boot menu are
-Floppy
-LS120
-Hard Disk
-CDROM
-ZIP
-USB-FDD
-USB-ZIP
-USB-CDROM
-USB-HDD
-Legacy LAN

I don't see an SATA option.

ceewi1

VIP Member
What motherboard have you got? Mine has a seperate option to select which hard drive should boot first. In that case, go to the boot menu and change to hard disk, and look for an option somewhere else that will let you select which hard drive to boot from

Timbo

I didn't see a seperate option, but I could have been mistaken.
I am currently running a Gigabyte i-DNA. GA-k8N51PVMT-9. I've read good things about the K8 series, maybe I've read misleading reviews?

Timbo

Okay.. Uhm.. I didn't change any jumpers on the back or anything but it just started working.. Whatever I'm happy! Thanks for help guys.