SLI and Multi-Monitor support

Eklipze3k

Having just recently upgraded to the system you see below I was hoping to have all 3 17" monitors connected all at once, allowing me to stretch the desktop. During Windows installation, to play it safe, I just had one monitor connected. Having now gotten everything the way I want it, I hooked up the other 2 monitors. The system appeared to be booting fine until it got to the WinXP "Welcome" screen when the center screen went blank, the left went an almost cyan colour while the right went magenta. Having left it to see what would happen, the primary HDD then lost power and the system restarted.

I disconnected the other monitors, and everything booted up normally and Windows presented me with the usual "System has recovered from a serious error" box. Having sent the report to MS, they say (obviously) that it is an NVidia driver/hardware problem. When I found the exact same error message on the NVidia support site, they say it is most likely NOT an NVidia problem.

Honestly, I don't really care what is causing the problem, and I wish companies like that would stop shifting the blame. All I care about is the fact that I spent over £1,000 on the 3xTFT's and I refuse to use the system with just one. Anyone ever encountered anything like that before, or am I the only person crazy enough to try connecting 3 monitors to a desktop PC ??! ... lol

P.S. This is easily the longest forum post I've ever written, hahaha

Eklipze3k

Yeah, the voltages are stable - I splashed out on a nice Akasa PSU.

It turned out I could either have SLI enabled OR have multi-monitors ... not both. Obviously, the whole point of SLI is to channel all the power down one output to give you awesome image quality at the expense of losing the other outputs.

From what I've found out though, NVidia are looking into a way of enabling and disabling SLI on the fly as it requires a reboot at the moment. This should allow users like me to use the multiple monitors for their desktops and then switch back to the primary for gaming.

Here hoping anyway ....