SLI Technology For NVIDIA

5had0w

Hmm, i know that nvidia just come out with SLI technology, which allow dual graphic card, is there anythings from ATI do the same things as SLI?

apj101

VIP Member
their crossfire blows compared to SLI, ati is dumb
Another fanboy here. At least come up with a reason, and if you don't haave one then at least read up until you do ;)
The cross fire has a lot of advantages over the sli, for one you dont nessessarily have to buy 2 new cards as a cross fire ready card will work with any X800 or X850. Unlike sli, where you need to pick up 2 sli ready cards. Futhermore cross fire will work with a lot more games than the sli version.
As for performance differences, there not huge amount in them provided you compare gpu's in the same class

GhostEye

if u were to call me a fan boy, it would be a ati fanboy i love ati, and every card i have ever baught has been ATI/ i am running a ati 9550 atm. and yes u are right u dont have to buy 2 of the exact same cards, but the weaker card will force the better card to run at its speeds. nullifying this "advantage"

Last edited:

celsdogg

i prefer nvidia over ati, but i would not say that either is that much better than the other. however, i love the fact that i can use two different ati cards, but i dont like how it slows to the speed of the lesser card, but that just means that i can upgrade later and its almost like unlocking extra performance!

gamerman4

Crossfire allows room for upgrading a single GPU. getting a nice Crossfire GPU and connect it to a slower card. It will give a nice performance boost and later you can upgrade the non-CF card for a beter one while keeping the CF card. SLi is not like that. SLi is like Dual channel memory in that you can't run it with 2 different cards. Crossfire is more user friendly. I think both systems are stupid because you are paying a huge amount of money on 2 cards that will be good for a certain time and then will turn obsolete when someone makes a single card that has better performance than both of those combined and probably a smaller price tag. If they made a system that utilized both cards more efficiently like ACTUALLY getting twice the power since you have 2 cards, that would be sweet :D.

Archangel

VIP Member
GhostEye said:
and yes u are right u dont have to buy 2 of the exact same cards, but the weaker card will force the better card to run at its speeds.

well.. with the 7800GTX on sli you dont need 2 of the same brand either :D
i saw a aopen card and a XFX card work together already ^^

34erd

There's a startup company called Lucid Technologies that's building a chip that allows you to connect any two GPUs and gives the sum of the graphics processing of both GPUs.

Sillysod

34erd said:
There's a startup company called Lucid Technologies that's building a chip that allows you to connect any two GPUs and gives the sum of the graphics processing of both GPUs.
Hey 34erd, do you have any more info? Link etc..

Cheers

34erd

The rest is confidential heh heh.

My dads working with the company.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but the weaker card will force the better card to run at its speeds. nullifying this "advantage"
This is a um... a bad thing ... usually you want to maintain advantages

imaznumkay

i think SLI does the thing where two GPUs will take each half of the display u would see and render them...am i correct? o_O