Slow AMD 3200+ xp

Mikelb

I built a custom AMD system awhile back.... expected it to be extremely fast, especially compared to a 466Mhz Celeron (previous system)... The system consists of :
AMD Athlon 3200 xp
Wins 98 SE
512MB Mem(2700)
120 GB SATA hd
Sony 16X CD-RW
56k us robotics modem
USB ports
standard 15" CRT monitor
usb printer
etc...etc...

this computer is fairly comparative in speed to the Gateway 466Mhz Celeron with 260 MB RAM, and a 20GB EIDE HD....
what's making the new computer so slow????

agent-k

Your memory may be causing a bandwidth bottleneck.
The xp3200 runs at 400Mhz FSB
Your memory is running at a slower speed.
You either need to replace your memory with pc3200 (400Mhz) or try and overclock the one you've got.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Your memory may be causing a bandwidth bottleneck.
POssibly but in comparison to PC133 memory on the older system a bottleneck wont be noticeable\

The xp3200 runs at 400Mhz FSB
They also have a 333Mhz model too if im not mistaken

Your memory is running at a slower speed.
You either need to replace your memory with pc3200 (400Mhz) or try and overclock the one you've got.
That would be ideal but theres nothing wrong with running 6:5

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, definitely consider an OS upgrade (BTW the XP3200 is not a 3+Ghz chip :p)

Mikelb

thanks u guys.... but I accidentally posted wrong... I have 1 gig o memry... I believe it is either 2700 or 3200... but I will try and O'C the mem... and I am trying to upgrade to 2000.... but the dang CD is scratched or something... b/c it won't read certain files... during the installation... but it will read them if I manually copy them from the CD...