Slow Internet after Installing Graphics Card

I'm all over the place, sorry if I jump to one thing to another. This been driving me crazy for awhile now. After testing this all out, this is what I came up with...

I'm running one monitor right now, which is running great. Speed tests are great. Which, is running on a DVI to a HDMI cable. DVI in the GPU w/ the HDMI connected to the monitor. Now, when I run an HDMI to an HDMI connection, the internet is terrible. This same exact thing happened with the other PSU. So, it doesn't look to be the PSU. Is it possible, all I need is a better/stronger cable?

Does the graphics card I have allow me to run dual monitors?

I am completely stumped!

I'm running Wifi and I will be calling them right now. I called them not too long ago and they couldn't figure it out, themselves. I'll get back to you as soon as I get off the phone with them.

JLuchinski

Try running an ethernet cable if you can, it's always better to hard wire the connection if possible. Did you also try unplugging your router/modem for a couple of minutes to reset it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What wifi adapter are you using? Are you running the latest drivers for it? Either way, you still needed a better power supply. The video card will run dual monitors.

JLuchinski

Another question, did you put the antennas on the wifi card on the back of your computer? I'm just wondering if there is some sort of electrical interference that is causing this issue.

Called Verizon and they were no help. I reset the router, which actually helped speed up the internet and allowed me to run the dual monitors with great numbers but the more I'm on, the slower it gets and the lower the speed test gets. Every time, I basically unplug everything then connect everything again. The internet is fast, right from the start it seems like it gives it more juice then it drains out. Right after this update, I'm going to bring down my whole system downstairs and connect it to the router, using the Ethernet cable. The antennas are on.

Wifi adapter? Hmm... I don't have one? I mean, whatever the PC has, I guess. I don't have any additional, never needed them. Yeah, I'm glad I got the power supply. I always wanted the Corsair. And, that thing is staying in there. No way I'm taking that sucker out lol.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Wifi adapter? Hmm... I don't have one? I mean, whatever the PC has, I guess. I don't have any additional, never needed them.
Look in device manager under network adapters and tell me what you see. You are using wireless internet so you have a wireless adapter in your system, hence the antenna's.

Look in device manager under network adapters and tell me what you see. You are using wireless internet so you have a wireless adapter in your system, hence the antenna's.

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Realtek Wireless LAN
Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller

I ended up bringing everything downstairs. Right now, I'm connected to the router with the Ethernet cable and it is phenomenal. Speed test over 50 Mbps. On the phone with Verizon again right now. How do you run the latest drivers? That could be it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Right click on realtek wireless lan, click on properties, click on details tab and give me the 4 digit vendor and device id numbers. They look like this. ven_xxxx and dev_yyyy where x and y are 4 alphanumeric digits. Also click on the driver tab and give me driver date.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can't even find it on realtek's website. Can you right click on it and click update driver and see if it updates? Might want to try a different adapter.

JLuchinski

Depending on a number of things your wifi can be very slow. When my Xbox is on wifi it's slower then a snail even though it's only 20 ft away from the router, when it's plugged in it runs 40 times faster. That's because a lot of people come over and there phones/devices automatically connect when they're here. Do you have a lot of things that use wifi in your house? And how far are you from the router?

Hey guys... Sorry for the delay, went away for the weekend. Before, I left I ended up purchasing the Verizon WiFi Extender, made the install today and WOW what a change! 17.1 Mbps download and 36.7 Mbps upload. So, after all the headaches and stress I went through... it was the terrible WiFi connection. I don't know why all of a sudden it stopped working for me to need the extender, doesn't make sense but all is running strong.

And... a special thanks to you guys on this site. After being on about 4 other sites, you guys lead me in the right direction and came up with the best solutions. Thanks a whole lot, really... much appreciated!

JLuchinski

Hey guys... Sorry for the delay, went away for the weekend. Before, I left I ended up purchasing the Verizon WiFi Extender, made the install today and WOW what a change! 17.1 Mbps download and 36.7 Mbps upload. So, after all the headaches and stress I went through... it was the terrible WiFi connection. I don't know why all of a sudden it stopped working for me to need the extender, doesn't make sense but all is running strong.

And... a special thanks to you guys on this site. After being on about 4 other sites, you guys lead me in the right direction and came up with the best solutions. Thanks a whole lot, really... much appreciated!
Yeah Wifi can be tricky, it just gets worse when you connect more things to it, that's why I always hard line devices if I can. This is a really helpful community with a lot of really helpful people, I've learned so much here and you will to if you stick around and help when you can.