Slow new pc?

myndziuss

Hello guys, ill get right to the problem :)
I was playing crysis warhead, then i had enough for now and turned it off, and on my dekstop there was a message saying that my pc is running slow and it suggested me to change my theme to windows basic. It said that it might be because my pc does not have enough resources to run windows aero.
I did some googling and found a few suggestions that said it is probably some kind of registry error and i should use a registry cleaner or something. I wanted to know what you think?
The pc is not old at all like 2-3 weeks old and its actually a decent gaming pc and i though it wasn't possible for it to be running slow :D

Need some help, early thx ;)

P.S: Ye i thought this might maybe be caused by crysis and i got the message was there when i turned it off. I was thinking that, when i was playing crysis (running everything on full) that my pc was going pretty hardcore and using lots of resources, so that might be the problem.

Last edited:

bvleb96

I would bet that it is a registry problem or maybe there are too many temporary files. I don't think that using a lot of computer resources would cause such a problem. There is a free program called CCleaner that can clean up your registry and delete temporary files.

myndziuss

Should i really use ccleaner? I have seen lots of posts saying that you shouldnt mess with that. :confused:

But anyway, i have no idea how this could happen since the pc is brand new:eek:

Also i have a question, what do i have to delete in the Ccleaner? system temporary files? or internet temporary files.

I also havn't noticed my pc being slow but i really dont know ;/

deanj20

If you could list your system specs, that would be helpful. ;)

Chances are that the program "hung" on closing, so your system was just low on resources and Windows was just trying to "help". :p

Anyone who suggests that you avoid CCleaner doesn't know what they're talking about IMHO. I would download and install Piriform CCleaner. Run the program, and on the left hand side select Registry. Scan and Fix Issues. Continue scanning for/repairing issues until it doesn't find anymore.

Then I would download and install Auslogics Registry Cleaner. Scan and repair issues repeatedly until it doesn't find anymore.

Personally, I would also completely uninstall anything that says Norton or Symantec. It's a major resource hog. I would replace it with something equally effective and less demanding, such as Avira AntiVir or AVG Free Edition.

Also, if you're like 90% of Windows users, you probably have a ton of extra programs starting up automatically when Windows starts up. You can disable unneeded processes from starting up by doing the following:
Go to Start-->Run-->type in 'msconfig' and hit <enter>

In the Startup tab, uncheck everything that you do not need running in the background at startup and click "Apply." Alternatively, you can just click "Disable All" and then go back later and re-enable any process you find you actually need on startup.

Then, in the Services tab, check Hide All Microsoft Services, uncheck everything that you do not need running in the background at startup and click "Apply." Again, you could just click "Disable All" and go back and re-enable certain processes later if you find that you need them running on startup.

Restart the computer.

Be sure that you have all of the latest Windows updates - you can go to Start-->All Programs-->Windows Update.

And finally, I suggest that you download and run the Hijack This! executable from Trend Micro and post your log up here. This will allow us to see what's left starting up on your system and further identify any unneeded processes or malicious entries.

myndziuss

Specs:
Intel i5 760 quad core 2.80 ghz
zotac geforce gtx 470 amp
4 gb ram
931 gb space in c disc
Windows 7 64-bit
Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H, Socket-1156

[edit]: Oh yes and i use Microsoft Security Essentials as my antivirus program.

I assume thats all that u need?
And i have Ccleaner installed :)

Ok so i ran hijackthis and i clicked the first button, then it said that my system denied write access of Hosts file, then it told me how to do something manually.

As said this is a new pc and no i do not run lots of processes on startup :p
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 16:25:21, on 20.12.2010
Platform: Windows 7 (WinNT 6.00.3504)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16700)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IELowutil.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DllHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: SkypeIEPluginBHO - {AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAStorIcon] C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O9 - Extra button: Skype Plug-In - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Skype Plug-In - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/swflash.cab
O18 - Protocol: skype-ie-addon-data - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AppleChargerSrv - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\AppleChargerSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (IAStorDataMgrSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service (LMS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service (Stereo Service) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvSCPAPISvr.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management & Security Application User Notification Service (UNS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 6242 bytes

[edit 2]: I just ran ccleaner again and did what u said registry>fix. There were lots of files that had Microsoft Net Framework in the name that i deleted and i dont know if that was very smart thing to do? o.o And there was one on the end which was called Install Shield which it said was empty. I deleted all those of that scan and scanned again, now it found lots of more with the word Microsoft Net Framework in the name, and i was wondering if i should delete them?

I also found a few files in my c/ folder that are called: csb,Install,msdia80.dll,RHDSetup. Just wanted to be sure these are not bad or anything.

Last edited:

deanj20

hrmmm... looks OK to me. Yes, I would repeatedly scan for and repair registry errors using CCleaner until it finds no more. And then do the same thing with Auslogics Registry Cleaner. Then, be sure that your computer has all of the updates and download and install .NET from Microsoft. ;)

Let us know if it happens again.

myndziuss

After doing the cleanups can i delete the backup folder and the cleanup programs (i like to keep my pc clean).

[EDIT]: Now this auslogics registry cleaner found something around 100 errors and i found some firewall errors, would it be smart to delete something that has to do with firewall? o.o

Last edited:

deanj20

Of course! You should also run the Cleaner part of CCleaner to delete all of your junk files. I've used that proggie since I first heard about it, and I've yet to delete anything I needed with it. Pretty much fail-safe IMHO.

myndziuss

Ok i ran the scans and fixed them, now they can't find anything wrong/errors.

Now should i run the cleaner part of CCleaner and delete all the files from Windows and Applications?

Last edited: