slow pc.Pop ups/ With hijackthis log file

ceewi1

VIP Member
Can you tell me in your opinion which one of those antivirus programs is best? Also in your opinion which one of those firewalls is best?
A tough call, they're all very good. Personally, I use AVG & Zone Alarm when I'm going for free protection.
Is there anything I can buy to make my computer faster?
I'd suggest reading through http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/slowcomputer.html, it has some great suggestions.
Is there also something I can buy to make a dial up modem faster?
There are a number of programs available that claim to increase your speed (if you google for dial-up accelerators, you'll find plenty). Personally, I never found them to be particularly helpful, but it's been many years since I've used a dial-up connection, and today's software may be better than what was available then.

Keep in mind that Service Pack 2 will take an extremely long time to download, likely several hours on a dialup connection. You might find it easier to order the CD (only shipping and handling charges apply), or if you have access to a computer with broadband Internet, download it on that and transfer it via a CD or memory stick.

Thanks for all your help man. I really appreciate it.
You're most welcome.

Last edited:

tsi18psi

Ok im going to download the antivirus and firewall tomm.
i have dsl but had to plug it into this computer while fixing the other one.So i could read what you were saying while doing it on the broken one.
Is there any way i can hook the dsl up to both computers and have both work at the same time?

ceewi1

VIP Member
Yes, there is.

The best solution is to purchase a router. Plug the modem into the router's WAN port, and both computers into the router. Run the Setup Wizard and both PCs will be able to access the Internet on your DSL line. (The instructions that come with the router and much more detailed).

Alternatively, you can purchase a Crossover Cable and plug one end into each computer. Then, on the computer that has the modem plugged into it, configure Internet Connection sharing as in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126. One downside of this method is that the PC with the modem plugged into it needs to be on to use the Internet on either PC.

I suggest purchasing the router. It's not terribly expensive, and is much easier than using a dial-up connection.