WIndows 10 Slow Performance on video editing with i7 9750 - RTX 2060

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased the ASUS ROG Zephyrus M (GU502GV-AZ038T) for editing video. After checking as many reviews and comparisons as I could before purchasing, I must say that I am disappointed by the "out of the box" configuration for editing. In both premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve I run into stuttery playback on my footage without even adding any effects to it. After I have installed GeForce Experience with the NVDIA Studio driver I don't feel like it got any better. I have searched online, hoping to find the right anwsers, but I haven't yet. I ran into the video below and hoped it would get better with these settings (even though not all options were available for me. (Options like: DSR Factors and DSR Smoothness)):

I have also ran a Benchmark performance test which came out with the following results: "Overall this PC is performing below expectations (30th percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 70 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components. Use the charts in the benchmark sections of this report to identify problem areas." UserBenchmarks: Game 34%, Desk 75%, Work 59% CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H - 68.6% GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 (Mobile) - 28.4% SSD: Intel 660p NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 164.6% USB: Generic STORAGE DEVICE 32GB - 14.9% RAM: Samsung M471A2G43AB1-CTD 1x16GB - 41% MBD: Asus Zephyrus M GU502GV_GU502GV The weirdest part about it is that it feels like its performance on video playback in Premiere and Resolve is slower then my previous laptop (Intel I7 4800MQ 2.70GHz 8CPUs, Intel HD Graphics 4600), a laptop that I bought refurbished about 3 years ago. This shouldn't be right. I hope somebody can help me to figure out what the problem is. I have also emailed the ASUS helpdesk to see what they come up with but I thought I would ask here to see if anybody knows what I could do best.

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Kevin

OmniDyne

When you're editing, are you sure the RTX 2060 is being used and not the processor graphics? Check task manager as you're editing. The processor graphics will show as Intel UHD graphics 630.

When you're editing, are you sure the RTX 2060 is being used and not the processor graphics? Check task manager as you're editing. The processor graphics will show as Intel UHD graphics 630.

Hi OmniDyne,

Thanks for your response. Not sure...it is running 5% on the RTX 2060 and 11% on the Intel UHD. I've added a screenshot.

It uses 26% CPU at the moment. I am just playing back some footage (with minimaleffects on it). Feels so weird that I constantly get frame droppings. Do you know what the issue with that could be? If my RTX card isn't setup right for Premiere Pro and Davinci resolve to make use of it...do you know how I should do that?

Again thanks for your response.

Regards,
Kevin

Attachments

• GPU.PNG
    GPU.PNG
    67.8 KB · Views: 5

OmniDyne

After doing some research, it appears the integrated graphics and dedicated graphics work in tandem. So I don't believe that's the issue.

Does the following link help or apply at all?

After doing some research, it appears the integrated graphics and dedicated graphics work in tandem. So I don't believe that's the issue.

Does the following link help or apply at all?

Alright thanks! After reading the topic in the provided link I tryed installing the previous (2019) version of premiere, which seemed te be working pretty good on my old laptop, but unfortunately that wasn't the issue either. Also tryed changing some of the settings they talk about, but no luck. The 10-bit cineform part doesn't apply to me because I am not using it.

A thing that I hear people say that worked for them is switching audio hardware from MME to ASIO. I can try later if that makes a difference when I plug in my old audio interface (when I simply switch to ASIO it won't playback at all. The playheadjust freezes when I hit play). If that would help it would still get me nowhere, because I am planning on traveling for a long time in a few months and I can't take the audio interface with me.

At least I am happy to know that the RTX 2060 itself isn't the problem because that would've been a reason to return the laptop. (Which I would rather not do because apart from this issue I like it very much so far). If anything else occurs to you, let me know. Really appreciate the time you took so far. :)

ssal

On your PPCC, in the project panel, there should be an option to use CUDA graphic.

When you said it stuttered, is it in 1x playback or in 2x, 3x, etc. faster playback. or playback backward.

I have the GTX 1060 and my 1x or 2x playback has not problem.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Are you editing files on a mechanical hdd or on a SSD? Scrubbing performance can be impacted by not having a fast enough storage.

Are you editing files on a mechanical hdd or on a SSD? Scrubbing performance can be impacted by not having a fast enough storage.

Hey Intel_man,

Thanks for your response. I am editing from my internal SSD. Though stutters like these seemed less frequent on my old laptop (on which I was editing from an external HHD most of the times).

This laptop itself is way faster, I can really tell that on everything else I do. But with video playback it keeps dropping frames and stuttering. (And video editing is what I use it for 75% of the time).

Regards,
Kevin

On your PPCC, in the project panel, there should be an option to use CUDA graphic.

When you said it stuttered, is it in 1x playback or in 2x, 3x, etc. faster playback. or playback backward.

I have the GTX 1060 and my 1x or 2x playback has not problem.

Hello Ssal,

Thanks for your time to respond. To be honest, it does it at all of them. Now I did notice that it is worse when playing back GoPro or DJI footage. On my Sony s-log footage it still stutters/drops frames, but not as much as the other ones.

In my setup I have indeed already tryed both the CUDA and OpenGL settings. Didn't do the trick.

Don't know what else I could do. The ASUS helpdesk wasn't too helpful with it either so I hope I can find out what causes it somehow.

Thanks again. Regards,

Kevin

ssal

With the super specs like your machine, you should have no problem doing the scrub and 3x playback and -1x, -2x playback. Something is wrong.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Interesting...

Have you checked the Power Settings in Windows? Perhaps try using the Performance Mode if you're not already using that. You can also set that in the Nvidia Control Panel as well (Power Management Mode to Prefer maximum performance). Also, are you editing when on battery power or when plugged into the wall?

With the super specs like your machine, you should have no problem doing the scrub and 3x playback and -1x, -2x playback. Something is wrong.

Thanks! You are right. I have just sent it back to the store to have it replaced. Really appreciate your time to share your thoughts!

Interesting...

Have you checked the Power Settings in Windows? Perhaps try using the Performance Mode if you're not already using that. You can also set that in the Nvidia Control Panel as well (Power Management Mode to Prefer maximum performance). Also, are you editing when on battery power or when plugged into the wall?

Yes, I have checked about everything by now. Thanks! I have just sent it back to the store to have it replaced. Really appreciate your time to share your thoughts!

tara111

Sorry for bumping, but I have the same problem! I'm using RTX4070, but it gets slow with finalcut any methods to try?

MouSe

Sorry for bumping, but I have the same problem! I'm using RTX4070, but it gets slow with finalcut any methods to try?

What processor do you have? Maybe the problem can be in other hardware components.

I've got the same Nvidia card on intel 5, and I am using Movavi for video editing - no problems at all. Maybe try switching to another video editor, see some final cut alternatives here.

Last edited: