Slow performance

stickman

Can anyone help me with this problem? I have a HP laptop DV5000, it takes very long time to boot up, the CPU is at 80 to100% usage all the time, i have 1gig of ram but it only uses half of it. Thank you for your help.

cohen

Are you using vista????

How old is the laptop????

Do the following:

• Start
  • Run
  • Type "msconfig"
  • Deselect the things that you don't want to start up when it boots up.

That should make some improvement.

If you are using vista, i recommend getting another GB of ram.

Ok, the most likely cause of the problem, assuming the computer is powerful enough to run whatever it is you are running, is fragmentation. How long is it since you have defragmented your hard drive?

Click on Start, and go to All Programs. Then from the list that comes up, click on Accessories, and then System tools from the new list that comes up. Then click on Disk Defragmenter.

A window will pop up. Click on the C:\ drive on the list, and then click Analyse. This will analyze your hard disk and tell you if you need to defragment. It will also show you a graph of the fragmentation of your hard disk. Basically, more red means more fragmentation.

If it says you need to defragment, then click defragment. THIS WILL TAKE A LONG, LOOONG TIME (but your computer should run much faster afterwards).

Basically, fragmentation is how files are split over your hard drive. As you use your computer, files are constantly being created, moved and deleted. The disk isn't necessarily filled up from top-to-bottom, and so through constant use the files get split throughout the disk. Defragmentation puts these parts of the files back together, so it takes a lot less time to access, thus speeding up the computer.

You should defragment your computer regularly (the more often you do it, the less time it will take. If you haven't defragmented at all yet, then it's gonna take a hell of a long time to do THIS TIME).

alissashreddah

If its running vista on 1gig of ram then that could be your problem. vista takes a lot of memory to run.

additionally, you should be preforming disk cleanup and defragment on a regular basis. disk cleanup is fast, so you can do that while sitting at your computer. for defragging i suggest letting it run when you're sleeping or going to be away from the computer for some time. It will take a while the first time especially if you havent been doing it.

to do each go to

Start menu > accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
Start menu > accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

both of those should help boost preformance.

also, Remove any downloads or programs you dont need or arent using often enough.

clear cookies.