slow ram

jesse kraus

hello people,

This is like the 100st problem i have with my pc or something, so thats something to celebrate.
a while ago i was just messing in my bios, overclocking my cpu with like bits of 0,1, and then i tried setting my ram speed manually.
it did not work, no matter what speed i set it, it kept bluescreening. so i just set it back to auto.
but when i looked at the speed it set them at, it said 800mhz. i dont know the exact speed of the ram sticks anymore, but im 90% sure it is higher than 1ghz.

anyone knows how to solve this, because this is really annoying. currently i have 6 firefox tabs opened and nothing else, and its already using 1,5gb of the 12 i have. and its even worse when playing games. games like ark survival evolved, take like 7gb, i cant live with that.

i really dont like since i just got everything else in my pc finally fixed. its not running as smooth now as it should and thats affecting my mood. i want task manager to boot up in 0,1 seconds instead of 5.

specs:
amd fx-8500 overclocked to 4,2ghz
sapphire amd radeon r7 370 4gb nitro
4gb and 8gb ram stick (i had a third 4gb one in before, but that one died. i remember the speed lowering around that time, but i dont know. i destroyed too much then to remember it clear. i found out that that one ran at 1866mhz.)
as(s)rock 3 extreme 2.0
some hitachi disk and a wd black both 7200rpm
thermaltake smart pro rgb 850w
neos bitfenix case
windows 10 pro

before i the problem with that hitachi disk that it was constantly 100% in use, but i fixed that finally)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
games like ark survival evolved, take like 7gb, i cant live with that.
Uh....you have RAM to be used. That's why you have it.

Look at the sticker on your RAM. That will tell you what speed it is. Remember that all RAM will downclock to the slowest speed of the lowest speed stick.

beers

Staff member
Usually your bios will list the 'actual' speed. Due to the way DDR operates, the 'effective' speed is double the actual speed. If it says 800 in bios and CPU-Z then that is effectively '1600'.

If you're trying to manually set 1600 it's probably trying to boot a with an effective speed of 3200 and failing.

anyone knows how to solve this, because this is really annoying. currently i have 6 firefox tabs opened and nothing else, and its already using 1,5gb of the 12 i have. and its even worse when playing games. games like ark survival evolved, take like 7gb, i cant live with that.

I guess you'll have to uninstall ark then. :rolleyes:

Applications are going to use the amount of resources they were programmed to do. How can you possibly make an accurate expectation with zero understanding of the underlying processes?

If you could blindly dictate that all applications are within a certain ram quantity, why would anyone ever own more than 640K of memory?

jesse kraus

Oh well if the actual speed is double the amount cpu z says it is im fine. Because then the stickers would be right